Shrinking tires

I can’t get left rear to drop very much. I have put it in the freezer and It change much. I took the valve step core out and put in freezer for the afternoon but it won’t shrink. I am gonna grow my right rear to get the correct stagger but I am still trying to get left rear shrunk. What can I do?

Oh ok. I have just been leaving core out in the freezer. Will it hurt to leave them in there overnight? Or will it drop to much? I want to drop about 3/4 inch

Your not getting it hot enough as mentioned, anything over 2 hrs in the freezer is a waste of time
But doubt you'll get 3/4" half inch is tough but about max.

I doubt the sun will do it .
Try a heat gun or make shift hotbox . With the heat gun .
Old electric oven , it needs to be hot hot . Glove wearing hot.

have to heat it in an oven or hotbox at about 300 deg. for about 5-7 minutes with the core out.
Once heated squeeze out air, re install core and shock the tire in a bucket of cold water until completely cool.
Core has to be in, the tire will contract while cooling.

^^^ XXX40 is correct, I have done it with a torch on the tire surface machine, you will have to do several cycles, however o don’t think you will get 3/4” especially if it’s a Burris

Ok thanks for all the help. I am on maxxis. I am gonna get up in the morning and do a little figuring out on getting the tire shrink a little bit. I guess I will grow the tire on the right a tad bit because I don’t think I will get 3/4 out of the tire on the left. Thanks for all the help

...or you could mount the LR on a wider wheel (8 3/4") will help.
That AND heat/cold should get you the 3/4" you need. I like to keep my right sides @ 34."

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Will doing that mess with the way the kart will handle. I have heard that before that if try to get a different stagger by using different wheels it will mess up way kart handles.

Will doing that mess with the way the kart will handle. I have heard that before that if try to get a different stagger by using different wheels it will mess up way kart handles.
I've never used 8 3/4" wheel so I don't know what the back set is, but 8 1/2" wheel is 3 1/2 " as long as back set is the same it will not mess with handling, If it would be different just move the LR hub accordingly.

I have gotten over 2" using the method XXX#40 mentioned with Maxxis, Burris, Vegas and Firestones with no problem, with both a LR's and LF's.

Maxxis were the easiest, the Firestones got the smallest (once they finally started shrinking- they wouldn't stop), Vegas needed the least amount of shrink.

I have gotten over 2" using the method XXX#40 mentioned with Maxxis, Burris, Vegas and Firestones with no problem, with both a LR's and LF's.

Maxxis were the easiest, the Firestones got the smallest (once they finally started shrinking- they wouldn't stop), Vegas needed the least amount of shrink.
Over 2”….. sorry but I’m gonna have to call BS on a Burris !!

We had a Burris only class a few years ago where we could run either the b33b or b44b. Having always heard these tires were hard to shrink down, I over done it and ended up having to air them up between races to stretch them back out. They were heated in an oven and shocked with ice water before they were ever mounted and did not like going on the rim or seating when mounted.

Also, If you internally roll a tire with just enough air for it to roll in the rollers, it will normally shrink down a lot in roll out.

And you can add heat while rolling for more shrink- but you have to either use nitrogen or watch the air build up with the heat.

If that won’t mess with the way my kart handles or my scale numbers I will change wheels in a little bit.
The 8 3/4" wide wheel won't change the way the car feels. If you can tell the difference in LR spring rate by a 1/4" wheel increase on the LR, you might be a better wheel man than most I have worked with over the years. :) Yes, there is a slightly difference, but getting the correct stagger is so much more important.
You will not need to move the LR hub. It's the 8 1/4" wheels that have the different backset (IIRC.)

The 8 3/4" wide wheel won't change the way the car feels. If you can tell the difference in LR spring rate by a 1/4" wheel increase on the LR, you might be a better wheel man than most I have worked with over the years. :) Yes, there is a slightly difference, but getting the correct stagger is so much more important.
You will not need to move the LR hub. It's the 8 1/4" wheels that have the different backset (IIRC.)
i just did away with the 8.5 wheels completely, was always fighting to get stagger so we only owned 8.75. Why fight it just go with it lol

Back