Shrinking tires

I found one of these electric vertical smokers on facebook used for $10 and it works perfectly. Not the rich mans choice but us budget racers can sure make the best of it lol

Attachments

• Vertical+Portable+351+Square+Inches+Smoker.jpg
    Vertical+Portable+351+Square+Inches+Smoker.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 12
I found one of these electric vertical smokers on facebook used for $10 and it works perfectly. Not the rich mans choice but us budget racers can sure make the best of it lol
Plenty of ways to improvise.
Metal trash can/truck tool box and heat gun.
Old gas grill.
I got lucky and found just an oven unit at the trash dump

I feel bad that I don't share more things on here. So I'll throw this out there...I heat the tire/wheel assembly to 170 in an industrial oven I have in the shop, "core out". I/we have a shop vac bottom ready with ice and water. Now the next part you have to be ready to do quickly. Remove the tire/wheel assembly from the heat source and vacuum the air out with a cheap HF venturi vacuum. Put the core in and submerge it in the ice water for at least 5min and then wipe it down and put it in a freezer over night. The pic is one I gutted out of the complete assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_2151.JPG
    IMG_2151.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 59
Menards has these cans that should work nicely with a 100w incandescent light bulb, if you don't have another heat source.
Behrens 20 Gallon Galvanized Steel Trash Can with Lid
Model Number: 1211 Menards ® SKU: 6483650

This should give you an idea of the power of vacuum! Haha

Attachments

• IMG_2152.JPG
    IMG_2152.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2153.JPG
    IMG_2153.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 48
Use two mapp torches with blast-tips with the tire on a table top spinner with the valve core out until the tire starts to smoke then set it on the garage floor until its cool to the touch. If it didn't shrink as much as you need, do it again, and again. It will take doing this to a few dozen LR's to get a feel for how long to torch to get the sizing right. Its easier to shrink a new tire than one that's already been sized.

Back