Side cover blew off!

R.jacker

Just went through engine… actually torqued this one 17ft/lbs … any good reason for it blowin the side cove off? Box stock gov delete

Attachments

• IMG_2395.jpeg
    IMG_2395.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2394.jpeg
    IMG_2394.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 125
Bolts are still in , that's good.
This was quite common for a while have not seen much lately. Not enough end play .Poor gasket or something causing side cover too not be seated fully , when tightened .
The cure's were paint cheap gaskets with silver paint .
Sand the ridge off the side cover so it doesn't cut through the gasket . Use fuel line to fill the bolt holes and thread your bolts in the side cover .
( i never could do this ) maybe didn't try hard enough .
Location pins missing.
Silicone fill side cover bolt holes .
I liked to paint the bolts with finger nail polish , so I could see visually if they moved .

did the bolts back out of the threads pull out? seems odd if they backed out that far and evenly and so quickly as oil would have been spraying everywhere from the time they started to back out until the point you are now.

Last edited:
Ive seen this happen many times. Im so OCD of it I check 3 or 4 of mine between heats and features everytime. I use some silicon on my threads when putting one together. Most likely cause is exactly what Pk said. Sharp edge on block cut the paper gasket, bolts lost clamp tension and started vibrating loose

The threads actually look ok… seems like definitely the cheap gasket I used was the culprit.. when gasket was mentioned I looked and didn’t see one at all and thought I totally messed up and forgot to put one on, even though that’s not my style. But pulled side cove and majority of the gasket was actually inside the engine…chalking it up to a shitty gasket and I like the silicone on the treads gonna do that… should mention driver was complaining about clutch chatter might have contributed a bit also

Thanks fellas!👍

The threads actually look ok… seems like definitely the cheap gasket I used was the culprit.. when gasket was mentioned I looked and didn’t see one at all and thought I totally messed up and forgot to put one on, even though that’s not my style. But pulled side cove and majority of the gasket was actually inside the engine…chalking it up to a shitty gasket and I like the silicone on the treads gonna do that… should mention driver was complaining about clutch chatter might have contributed a bit also

Thanks fellas!👍

What do you mean it was inside engine? The paper gaskets are fine, just need to make sure you file the block edge if its sharp and put another one on. If you decide to go a different route gasket wise always remember to double check your crank end play

What do you mean it was inside engine? The paper gaskets are fine, just need to make sure you file the block edge if it’s sharp and put another one on. If you decide to go a different route gasket wise always remember to double check your crank end play
the pieces on the blue towel I pulled out of the block and you can still see some inside also… i didn’t file the block or cover but I did use some scotch bright on both, technically we’re not allowed to take a dremel to the inside…. I did the Ol’ hand measurement on end play this one seemed on the high side!?

Attachments

• IMG_2397.jpeg
    IMG_2397.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2396.jpeg
    IMG_2396.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 44
And don't cut corners, get the best side cover gasketyou can...also, one tip I was given, when the side cover is taken off then put back on, before making the final torquing of the bolts, tap on each end of the crank with a rubber Mallett to make sure the bearings on each end of the crank are fully seated in their bores, if they're not, that can lead to.the side cover being ever so slightly cocked causing the bolts to not torque down properly leaving the possibility of them vibrating loose and subsequent motor failure...

Back