Silly tire rolling question.

I'm getting some wheels on Wednesday. I have tires that need to be rolled for next weekend that I don't have wheels for.

Can I inside roll my tires with no wheels, just stick them on the roller dump the chemical in, and let then go.

Then put them in the when the chemical is absorbed?

At one time this was a fairly popular method. The only thing that you have to be concerned with is evaporation since it's no longer sealed, depending on the chemicals used when rolling. Some chemicals evaporate faster than others and you won't get quite the same amount in the tire.

Also most generally set the tires at a certain air pressure to make the contact patch of the tire exposed to prep inside a certain profile. More or less air to out the prep where they want it. Some say this is negligible some say it's very important.

One method that was used for a while was to put a certain amount of nickel coated BB's in the tires and it forms the contact patch and keeps the prep from sloshing or anything. But, I felt it perhaps aided in evaporation. With it being colder this might not be as big of an issue now, but something to consider.

Using BBs helps spread the prep out evenly from side to side in the tire if you use enough of them. Evaporation is a real problem - plan on using more prep than normal when internal rolling tires off the wheels.
Another option is to mount the tires on a spare set of wheels (same widths) and then dismount/mount them back up when your new wheels arrive.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Go get some poster board from your local store and cut it in widths you can roll into the inner hole to seal the tire off. Cuts down in the evaporation of prep. And you can reuse them.

Jeez just roll the tires, sure you'll get a tad of evaporation but this ain't brain science. We roll alot of ours off the wheels, watch how quick the stuff soaks in.

Jeez just roll the tires, sure you'll get a tad of evaporation but this ain't brain science. We roll alot of ours off the wheels, watch how quick the stuff soaks in.
Yes it soaks in dry fairly quickly...but the prep isnt all the way through the tire. Just because you cant see it does not mean its ready to go and still can "pond' in an area if taken off the roller.
And actually you can get quite a bit of evaporation, lots more with some preps, depends on the chemical make up.

You can tell real quick when a tire has not had enough roll time -- when you go to balance it.

Then again, with some of the current wheels and tires, you're using 11 weights and you are still scratching your head!

Back