Simple Green

So if simple green removes oils and prep from tire ...would that in theory make the tire harder ? Guys use it as a prw at day shows or tracks that have bite ...if it removes the oil and prep why does tire feel like it has bite in it after being washed with simple green

I guess what I'm getting at is as a tire ages it gets harder because oils used in manufacturing come out /evaporate ...so if simple green really does pull oils out in theory that would make tires harder ..which would be great if it would for many races ...but those who use simple green know for sure it definitely does not harden tire but it does soften it slightly...I'm thinking that the theory that it pulls oils out cant be true or we would end up with some awesome daytime tires

So if simple green removes oils and prep from tire ...would that in theory make the tire harder ?

That is correct, thats why they "say" if you want to harden your tire wash it repeatedly with simple green or acrysol to remove prep. Now keep in mind this is what is said i havent lab tested this or anything.

Guys use it as a prw at day shows or tracks that have bite ...if it removes the oil and prep why does tire feel like it has bite in it after being washed with simple green

1 is because your tire is clean and 2 is because it is pulling prep to the surface from deep with in the tire.

Well I disagree respectfully.... I shape and resurface my tires using simple green and methonal mixed and clean with full strength simple green and my tires have not got harder at all 33s punching 50 to 57 ...11s punching 28 to 36 .... i have tires that have no prep in them and feel just as good ...at the end of the day everyone thinks how they think but many races ....big races have been won by people using tire wash and simple green...let's not make ideas into gospel

Ok im stepping out of this one to each their own use/dont use simple green the bottom line is if it works for you then roll with it lol. I myself am not for or against the use of it as i dont use it, so its hard for me to say for sure one way or another. This can be another "gear ratio" debate ;)

Thank goodness! This was turning into the tire prep thread. If you don’t want to use it don’t if you do please continue doing so! There that was easy...... now let’s get back to important stuff like which clutch driver to use????

That is correct, thats why they "say" if you want to harden your tire wash it repeatedly with simple green or acrysol to remove prep. Now keep in mind this is what is said i havent lab tested this or anything.

1 is because your tire is clean and 2 is because it is pulling prep to the surface from deep with in the tire.

If you do this you will have soft tires, acrysol can be a strong softener if overused. It will also dry out the tire, which in time will become hard, but once prep and heat is applied, soft again.

Keep in mind that you can have a very soft tire with little oil in it. (Think "pencil eraser.")
That is what you'll end up with by using acrysol repeatedly. That softness is only temporary though as the tire will bounce back in duro (think "old pencil eraser") over time.
Acrysol and Simple Green are two entirely different products with entirely different chemical make-ups.
Yes, Simple Green is a degreaser and thus pulls oils to the surface of the tire. It doesn't pull all of the oil out of the tire, and it certainly won't make the tire enough harder (even with constant use) to pull all of the oil and prep out of a tire. Besides, most of us are adding new prep to that same tire the next week to replace what's been heat cycled (and washed) out of the tire.
Again, sometimes pulling oil to the surface is exactly what is wanted (that is what happens when the tire is heat cycled on the track - oils are pulled toward the concentration of heat.)

Im sorry i was pretty sure i seen on here to wipe with acrysol to help harden a burris. I must of been wrong and stand corrected

Back