Simple Tach ??

Slack2014

Old dog new tricks. Looking for a simple tach max rpm temp easy to read and use.

Not looking for enough data I need to go attend engineering school.

Suggestions ?

Old dog new tricks. Looking for a simple tach max rpm temp easy to read and use.

Not looking for enough data I need to go attend engineering school.

Suggestions ?
There is a separate thread on here (use the search weapon) about the small simple tachs found on ebay and amazon.
I am not a big fan of them because they have a very slow sample rate (1/2 - 1 second.) Think about it this way: If the tach is only recording max rpm once per second, how accurate can it be? A race engine can easily increase in rpm by 1000 in under a second. I find them especially problem-some on very short tracks where you're in and out of the throttle.
Now, for setting idle, they will work just fine.

Just my opinion though -- others mentioned that they have had great success with them.
To each their own.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

You should easily be able to find a way to make one using basic circuit boards like Arduino.........ooops didn't see you wanted max readings so scrap this idea. If you are patient, you should be able to find a Mychron 3 either here or ebay for $75-$100. I actually have a Mychron 3 Gold that is intended for cars or maybe ATVs or something. It has a massive wiring harness and I never tried to use it. If you (or anybody else) is interested I will test it to make sure it works and sell it cheap. It would be a PITA because, it does not have the capacity for an internal battery.

Last edited:
Mychron 4 is about as simple as it gets. Plenty of youtube videos showing how to setup and read them. And you get an RPM reading every lap. One lap you may hit 7000 but the rest of the time you were only hitting 6800 or 6600

There is a separate thread on here (use the search weapon) about the small simple tachs found on ebay and amazon.
I am not a big fan of them because they have a very slow sample rate (1/2 - 1 second.) Think about it this way: If the tach is only recording max rpm once per second, how accurate can it be? A race engine can easily increase in rpm by 1000 in under a second. I find them especially problem-some on very short tracks where you're in and out of the throttle.
Now, for setting idle, they will work just fine.

Just my opinion though -- others mentioned that they have had great success with them.
To each their own.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I have one of thos $79 ones having trouble with it doubling rpm.

I can see your point on accuracy

Koso makes some gauges that are probably what you're looking for, and they're reasonably priced. I've used their tachs on snowmobiles and karts for years and never had a problem with any of them. Search their website and take a look.

The settings have to be right. In order for it too read the proper rpm .
Routing the sensor wire away from any ignition components would stop phantom signals .

The settings have to be right. In order for it too read the proper rpm .
Routing the sensor wire away from any ignition components would stop phantom signals .
I am familiar with that, reads double rpm or more. Msg the co they informed me probably in the settings. Maybe right I don't like it so I'll try something else. I'll go back to it if I need to try again.

Koso makes some gauges that are probably what you're looking for, and they're reasonably priced. I've used their tachs on snowmobiles and karts for years and never had a problem with any of them. Search their website and take a look.
Do you use the O2 sensor?

Back