Simple Tire Rolling Questions

Can you roll your tires more than once?
How many times could you roll your tires?
If you can, how long before you need to re-roll your tires?
I have read most are putting the valve core back in and filling their tires with air while rolling, any issues with the valve core out & no air?
I have also read that you really don't want the prep to get on the sides during rolling. What happens if you get some on the sides during injecting the prep?

I may have more questions...

Can you roll your tires more than once?
How many times could you roll your tires?
If you can, how long before you need to re-roll your tires?
I have read most are putting the valve core back in and filling their tires with air while rolling, any issues with the valve core out & no air?
I have also read that you really don't want the prep to get on the sides during rolling. What happens if you get some on the sides during injecting the prep?

I may have more questions...

Roll as many times as you would like, of course that may not be the fastest.
Re rolling depends on what internal prep you would be rolling, some you need to do more often than others.
If you dont put air back in the tire, the tire may not stay up on the rollers, tends to get stuck.
If you hit the sides with a bit its not going to hurt, when internal prepping you are manipulating sidewall of the tire.

Would you mind explaining how internal prepping changes or manipulates the sidewall ?? have heard this but always thought internal prep was to get correct duro??Thanks for any and all input

Would you mind explaining how internal prepping changes or manipulates the sidewall ?? have heard this but always thought internal prep was to get correct duro??Thanks for any and all input

You can have 2 sets of tires, both duro at 50, but set A is freshly rolled ( less than a week ), and set B is a month old rolled, but 2 completely different sets of tires on the track. For a really soft tire, lots use less internal because we are using more chemical on outside.
Internal prepping changes spring rate of tire, that is by manipulating sidewall strength.

^ And some internal preps do this more than others.

We have two internal preps in ourline-up:
1 will definitely soften the duro and sidewall stiffness (ie spring rate).
The other will not soften the duro at all and does very little to the sidewall.

When you internally prep a tire, you WILL get prep creep up on the sidewalls (specifically at the shoulders of the tire.)
The more internal prep you roll into the tire, the more it will get up the sidewalls.
Depending on what internal and what you are trying to accomplish, this could well be a reason to roll less internal at a time.
For example, when rolling a 4 ounce right side tire, roll 2 ounces for 24 hours, then roll another 2 ounces for 24 hours rather than dumping in 4 ounces all at once.
A lot depends on the tire construction you're working with as well...soft sidewall like Burris, or stiff sidewall like Vega.
Ask yourself, "What do I want my internal to accomplish?"

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz

www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on FaceBook
29 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz

Carlson Motorsports on FaceBook
29 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

Steve to put it in terms how the conversation would go at the race track, The more Internal the more the sidewall will flex which while racing will put the tire into the track more making it grip more, EXAMPLE familiar to you would be a 1 oz Internal 33 with very little outside prep, would be good at Selinsgrove most FRi nights for heat race would get into the track enough and hang on, however you try to run that same tire for there feature most nights it would over work the tire and only be fast the first third of the race and would fade quick.

hey thanks fellows!! Mr.Carlson what would be the difference if you added all 4oz at once vs 2oz and 2oz method? thanks again.

hey thanks fellows!! Mr.Carlson what would be the difference if you added all 4oz at once vs 2oz and 2oz method? thanks again.

Gets more up on the sidewalls (shoulders) of the tires.
Intake rate is a bit different as well, but of big concern....just make sure that you roll them plenty long enough.

Sometimes you want to break down the sidewalls with your internal, sometimes you do not.

Would it be common for a regular Saturday night show to start with a heavily rolled set for the softer sidewalls and low duro with as much bite as possible to help you early in the night when the track is slower. Maybe be on soft sidewall harder duro with lots of bite as the track dryslicks and is sandy? I’m not even sure what I might want when the features are being run when the track has that narrow black prep grove that you don’t dare miss your line on. Oh yeah if you get the prep right you still need to be on the correct air. Anyone want to tell me if the first part of what I wrote is even close and add any general info as to where we should be headed as the track changes or what to be looking for?
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience

Would it be common for a regular Saturday night show to start with a heavily rolled set for the softer sidewalls and low duro with as much bite as possible to help you early in the night when the track is slower. Maybe be on soft sidewall harder duro with lots of bite as the track dryslicks and is sandy? I’m not even sure what I might want when the features are being run when the track has that narrow black prep grove that you don’t dare miss your line on. Oh yeah if you get the prep right you still need to be on the correct air. Anyone want to tell me if the first part of what I wrote is even close and add any general info as to where we should be headed as the track changes or what to be looking for?
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience

For Callahan you need a set of preps, and then a set that is only good prep. You want the correct amount of internal, overdoing the internal hurts more than it helps.

More internal will give you more sidebite (in general.)
But keep in mind that there are many different internal preps that do different things.
How much they break down the sidewall is a huge factor.
On bigger tracks where you need more roll speed, a heavy roll internal might get you some needed sidebite, but will flat kill roll speed.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

Listed below are some common internal tire preps.

Which ones tend to break down the sidewalls more than others?
Which preps do not break the sidewall down as much?
How many pounds of spring rate, on average; are taken out of the tire with both versions of internal? Lets say, that for all of the examples, 2oz of internal are rolled into each tire.

Pink Magic Internal
Insanity Aggressive Inside
Insanity Hard Track Inside
Palmetto Advanced Inside
Palmetto Original Inside
Southern Comfort Pink Internal

Also, a week-old internal roll vs a month old roll, what exactly is different? Do the sidewalls get more pliable or less pliable?

Back