skip tooth gears vs regulargears

thenry

what are the pros / cons of skip tooth vs regalar tooth gears on 35 chain as well as the driver skip tooths vs regular thanks ant input would greatly be appreaciated.

what are the pros / cons of skip tooth vs regalar tooth gears on 35 chain as well as the driver skip tooths vs regular thanks ant input would greatly be appreaciated.

Theory is less friction, but I would not chance the Skip Tooth failing on ya vs Reg, Don't think there's much to gain anyway.

I think the best gears on the market are precision gears. They are skip tooth, light weight, and lock together for accurate alignment every time. However, they cost around $30 compared to $10. But you get what you pay for.

There really isn't a proven advantage that I have seen anywhere, just opinions from people on here that say less friction from the skip tooth gears. I prefer Nitro Gears as far a a quality gear goes. Theyr nice and not too hard on the wallet, last a long time with a properly aligned chain, gear hub and engine.

Not sure you will find results from a study that "prove" an advantage of much of any of the trick items we use in racing today. From skip tooth gears to engine oils to ceramic bearings...it's difficult to "quantify" the advantage.
I can say that we've used skip tooth gears for 20+ years (mostly Rocket Sprocket brand) and never once had a failure due to them being skip tooth. Did we win races because of them? Doubtful. I can say that the physics would lend credibility to their being an advantage on the track -- ie fewer teeth to contact the chain, less rolling resistance, lighter weight, etc etc.
Racing (and especially karting because we are so underpowered) is an accumulation of many minute things to get a small advantage. There are no huge advantages to purchase.
We sell both styles through our shop and sales are about 50/50 as to what people want. I would say the more serious racers are the majority of those buying the skip tooth, while the backyard guys all want standard gears.

Honestly, I can't think of any "cons" for a skip tooth gear except that it costs a bit more than some of the import gears.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back