Slimy tires

SrFan3

Running Burris 33a's using venom prep, blue and black left the same feeling on the tires. I noticed the tires had a slimy type finish after applying prep. It lasted about 10 min before it went away. They were about a 60 duro. Is this slim feeling bad or good. Last race it seemed more excessive than other race days.

The Blue shouldnt leave a slimy feeling, are you cutting with acrysol or something similar? Just takes the Blue a while to completely dry if used alone because of its chemical make up. Cutting it helps with dry time.
The Black will leave a slight slimy feeling, should also be cutting this with something, BUT, that slime turns to bite after drying completely.
Since youre using Venom, i suggest cutting Black with Pink for medium to good tracks, minimal softening if any.

Running Burris 33a's using venom prep, blue and black left the same feeling on the tires. I noticed the tires had a slimy type finish after applying prep. It lasted about 10 min before it went away. They were about a 60 duro. Is this slim feeling bad or good. Last race it seemed more excessive than other race days.
are you cleaning well to open the pores of the tire?

Yes i scrub all tires thoroughly after every race. I am going to consider the acrysol idea. I keep hearing about it and its advantages so its probably about time to try it. As for the blue and black preps, it was more prevalent(the slim) with the black. Thanks for the replies

make sure to hit them with a flapper disc, sometimes burris glaze over and that will cause slimyness. blue and black are my main 2 preps

As Jamie pointed out, make sure you "open them up" with a sanding belt or grinder.
Prep that stays laying on the surface isn't getting down into the rubber. Refinishing, or opening up the tire will certainly help.
You can also warm the tire some to aid in getting prep penetration. (I don't mean burning the prep in, simply warming them in a hot box or using a heat gun to get the rubber to expand and accept the prep quicker.)

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back