Sluggish take off need help.

RCM

I weigh 250 lbs and with me and my kart i weigh 425. I am running a 15 drive and a 65 rear gears. And i have awesome top end just can fully get there my take off is sluggish any suggestions. Thanks.

Do you have a tachometer? Can you adjust the engagement RPM of your clutch? Sitting the clutch to engage at peak torque RPM is essential for fast starts.

Find out at what RPM your clutch is engaging. For us big guys, it seems like a 4000 RPM engagement is what works. Adjust your clutch springs accordingly.

No matter what else you do, check and adjust your clutch too. Its easy and it doesn't cost a dime.

If you set the clutch to stall at peak torque RPM, that's the best you can do. With the engine at peak torque RPM, you have the most horsepower available at the axle, of course with that gear set etc. etc. You know, setting the spring height and weights on the bench is okay, if you have a baseline to go by, but actually testing the clutch for the right stall speed is the only way to tell if you've done it right. The clutch should stall at peak torque. I've explained how to do that recently, look it up. I will debate anybody who thinks differently!

Back