Small gear vs. regular gear

Like Earl mentioned, its about the speed at which you're able to recover from a bobble. They are very good in the right situation and not for every class.

At the risk of sounding like Al,

One thing worth noting is that as you get smaller, your gear ratio changes become larger. For example:

Lets say I need more acceleration out of the corner.

If I am running an 11/44 (tiny gear set) and i want to go up one tooth to an 11/45, I have changed my ratio by 0.09 (4.00->4.09).
If I am running a 15/60 and I want to go up one tooth to a 15/61, I have changed my ratio by 0.06 (4.00 -> 4.06)

With the tiny gear sets, it is harder to make small gear ratio changes.
not a valid argument when you can run up to a 65 in mini gears .

another advantage to the mini gear is giving the sprocket more ground clearance. i have dented several gear guards because i have hit something (typically where the grid concrete ends and the track begins . less likely to hit trash on track rocks, lead, debris etc

Unless I am missing something, this is what I am finding on TRJ.

$25 per sprocket
$31 gear guard
$31 hub

I cant find anywhere what chain you have to run. Anybody want to fill me in? Seems a bit expensive to just "give it a shot" but that's just me.

Unless I am missing something, this is what I am finding on TRJ.

$25 per sprocket
$31 gear guard
$31 hub

I cant find anywhere what chain you have to run. Anybody want to fill me in? Seems a bit expensive to just "give it a shot" but that's just me.
Standard 35 chain.

He is technically correct. A 4.00 ratio is a 4.00 ratio no matter the combination to get there. Where I start to disagree with Al is that he believes that they all behave the same. A 4.00 ratio with a 15/60 and a 4.00 ratio with a 12/48 will behave very differently. The ratio will be the same at the end of the day, but they will do that ratio differently.
Telling people what I believe or do not believe does me a disservice. Without a quote, and a reference, what you are saying is only a hearsay statement. In my memory, I never made the statement you attribute to me, but I could be wrong.

As far as different size gears, with the same ratio, performing differently, opinions are just like that thing you're sitting on, everybody has one. Me included.

Telling people what I believe or do not believe does me a disservice. Without a quote, and a reference, what you are saying is only a hearsay statement. In my memory, I never made the statement you attribute to me, but I could be wrong.

As far as different size gears, with the same ratio, performing differently, opinions are just like that thing you're sitting on, everybody has one. Me included.
The post above the one you quoted was refrencing in the past where gearing comes up and you preach that a ratio is a ratio is a ratio.

Its no opinion. Different gearing, on the same ratio, will behave differently.

It seems to me that this topic can be measured very quickly. One just needs to make sure that all variables except the gearing is exactly the same. Tire OD, Tire PSI etc etc all the same. Just a simple drag race vs the clock at different distances should take care of it. I would think an asphalt kart might be easier.

If you don't mind sharing, what size tracks are you using it on?

I have used it on big pavement tracks and a few dirt tracks on champ karts.

Here is how I made my decision to give it a try.

1. My big gear set looks like a yard sale with the mix match gears acquired over the years.

2. Hadn't used anything over a 65 in the back in a while so the top range on the mini didn't concern me.

3. I like the PMI stuff and quality.

I have used it on big pavement tracks and a few dirt tracks on champ karts.

Here is how I made my decision to give it a try.

1. My big gear set looks like a yard sale with the mix match gears acquired over the years.

2. Hadn't used anything over a 65 in the back in a while so the top range on the mini didn't concern me.

3. I like the PMI stuff and quality.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that has a gear set that looks like I have acquired one of every brand/type ever made over the years...

You are not sounding like Al.
IMHO Al never made that good point.
IMHO his wrong incorrect bull was always and probably still is an argument about ratio is a ratio, which is still wrong and not correct.

At the risk of sounding like Al,

One thing worth noting is that as you get smaller, your gear ratio changes become larger. For example:

Lets say I need more acceleration out of the corner.

If I am running an 11/44 (tiny gear set) and i want to go up one tooth to an 11/45, I have changed my ratio by 0.09 (4.00->4.09).
If I am running a 15/60 and I want to go up one tooth to a 15/61, I have changed my ratio by 0.06 (4.00 -> 4.06)

With the tiny gear sets, it is harder to make small gear ratio changes.
This is when you switch to shifter kart mode and change clutch AND axle together like we do in the gear banging world. 😉

Nobody said same ratio, and with mini gears its not same ratio.

Back