So what do you think?

If you can't put the head back on you are no a tinker. You should be looking at a LO206 or a crate 212. That is my point.

I get you, and I agree (to a point) but the sealant that some builders are using is all but impossible to clean off without owning a mill (or taking the bloc & head to a piece of sandpaper.) That was my point. :)
Definitely no sealant needed (or allowed) on the 206. The class is definitely not designed for tinkerers.

From what I've seen at tracks in south eastern, central pa, whatever engine the tracks put up races for, the racers fill the roster. Most of these aren't tinkering with engines, they are focused on kart and tires, and quite good at that. If the tracks decided to promote the 206 or animal over the clone, classes would be full.

I think you're exactly right.
The promoters recognize that the biggest payback draws the biggest car count, while the biggest classes tend to draw the biggest paybacks. It's a catch 22.
I don't think that you'll see track promoters putting up big money for ANY class that typically brings 6-10 karts on a regular night.

We have racers locally who own 4 different types of engines and maybe 1 or two karts. They show up to the track with all 4 engines in their trailer and enter whatever class is paying slightly better that night. They are not as concerned with running weekly points classes as they are running once in a while in classes that pay just a few dollars over the norm.

The Animal BP engine should of never been replaced with the Clone to start with! The Animal rules just needed a few tweeks and revisions and it would still be the best 4 cycle kart race engine and affordable.That was all the cause of a few people that had big heads and couldn't get along with one another!

It boggles the mind why people will choose a more expensive, less reliable, engine. Not to mention the expense of using a clutch that costs as much as 3 times more than necessary. I know people that have 9 year old 206’s with all the original parts on them.
There are a lot of people that would gladly race the 206 but there are track owners, promoters and people selling clone engines that have fought it because they see it hurting their bottom line. They are driving the bus not the racers. There are very few people that know why Dave is no longer at Briggs, me included, but the 206 is as popular as it is because of him. Thank you Dave!

Maybe with a new leader at the helm of Briggs Motorsports they will care about the dirt oval market.

We have been racing them for 5+ years on the Road Racing circuit. Rock solid, no engine related failures, easy freshen up. Very close racing is a bonus!

I get you, and I agree (to a point) but the sealant that some builders are using is all but impossible to clean off without owning a mill (or taking the bloc & head to a piece of sandpaper.) That was my point. :)
Definitely no sealant needed (or allowed) on the 206. The class is definitely not designed for tinkerers.
Back in my day there was a thing called hi-tack, or something to that effect, that I used on all my McCullough's. It sealed great. It was extra easy to remove. It came in liquid or spray, I used the spray.

Slim to none. People love working on engines, you take that away and it becomes a whole different thing.
I love working on engines...Animals ARE better quality motors...but LO206 has taken over in the north on road course and street racing. It does provide equal competition for the best drivers/chassis guys BUT since ol DAD cant tinker it is not as much fun. CLones were fun to take down to min specs and change cams that worked for different tracks. (Did that at the track a few times) Unfortunately I just cant get enough interest in a "Super stock" class yet.

Yea, Because you 'bout have to mill the gasket adhesive off each time...and then there's the constant "updates." o_O
677BE41C-8B64-4179-8C41-508D5D58987E.jpeg

AMEN TO THAT ONE!

Back