So, what is the clone class?

Ted Hamilton

Helmet Painter / Racer
I see there's AKRA Box Stock, some sort of Burris rules, a predator class in some places, and box stock variations...as well as "builder's prepared" (aren't they all, unless you do it at home?)

So what engine type is run in "Clone Light" (heavy, sumo, nano, whatever) at the local NC tracks? Do the "clone engines" prepped to AKRA rules end up being something other than AKRA box stock? How do I know which to buy in the classifieds?

I assume I want a non-predator clone with CL2 cam, some sort of billet flywheel, 10.8 springs and a holy moses carb, with top plate and fuel pump....but is that legal for "clone light"?

Why is this so hard to figure out? I've been karting for quite a few years and have to say that what y'all have turned the clone landscape into is a disaster, IMO. All I want is a simple play engine for my non-unlimited racedays and if it's this confusing for me, I can only imagine what a total newb must think.... I appreciate some pointers. If I can escape with a legal clone for around $400 I'll be happy.

I see there's AKRA Box Stock, some sort of Burris rules, a predator class in some places, and box stock variations...as well as "builder's prepared" (aren't they all, unless you do it at home?)

So what engine type is run in "Clone Light" (heavy, sumo, nano, whatever) at the local NC tracks? Do the "clone engines" prepped to AKRA rules end up being something other than AKRA box stock? How do I know which to buy in the classifieds?

I assume I want a non-predator clone with CL2 cam, some sort of billet flywheel, 10.8 springs and a holy moses carb, with top plate and fuel pump....but is that legal for "clone light"?

Why is this so hard to figure out? I've been karting for quite a few years and have to say that what y'all have turned the clone landscape into is a disaster, IMO. All I want is a simple play engine for my non-unlimited racedays and if it's this confusing for me, I can only imagine what a total newb must think.... I appreciate some pointers. If I can escape with a legal clone for around $400 I'll be happy.
I agree. It is confusing how the rules are set up... maybe it's just me tho

That is the best explanation of an entry level clone engine. You only need one clone to run all weight classes and pro classes, the only different type of clone is a stock appearing. They have changed a lot in the last three to four years and are still changing. You won't get a brand new one for that anymore but you can find good used ones all day in that range.

An akra spec box stock clone is what you want when they say akra built it's just built to max specs with in the rules for stock clone classes the sumo heavy and all the other stuff you are talking about is the weight limits for that class at your track. Motors are no diff. Just look in the classifieds for a akra clone. Stay away from BP as it's a more expensive and faster class. Pro clone is stock motor with big pipe and disk clutch. I assume ur looking for a stock clone built to max specs so you will be looking for a akra box stock clone with winie pipe. Get the yellow clone it's the most popular of the clones u can find them pretty cheap in the classifieds. If you have anymore questions feel free to send me a PM

If you get a box stock AKRA clone engine, a weenie pipe, a big pipe, a drum clutch and a disc clutch, you will pretty much be able to race in any clone class at any track (except the BP and modified classes). You can use a drum clutch in any class, but if the rules allow disc clutches, you will probably want to use one for better performance. Tires will depend on the tire rule for the track and class.

In BP you can bore cylinder some and you can run a bigger cam and stiffer springs you can also do more to your carb and run on methonal, big pipe and disk clutch, along with a billet rod

If you're looking for a decent used motor for around $400 I have a couple to choose from and I'm not far from you in Walkertown. I service a couple local tracks with parts and have just about everything you need to build your own, including cams, motors, top plates, guards and 3 different flywheels. call Ron or Denise if you need help: 336-595-8820 or 336-918-2200

Go to Box Stock Project's web site. Jimmy Sims is the founder and sells brand new race ready engines for somewhere around 450$. Best price hands down for a legal clone.

In other words, history is repeating itself.

ie: When the flathead Briggs was introduced to karting as an "off the shelf" affordable class. LOL!!!!!!

Keep tinkering.

Back