Soaked old tire vs new with bite?

"J'-remy

Last weekend I asked one of the pros "what was the tire tonight?" and they told me old hard tire with aggressive prep little bit of goat" I was on a set of 2021 33s on LS1 in the week and TS1 Trackside. if we were on roughly the same Duro why would you run 1 vs the other? why soak a 65 tire to 52 vs running a 52 duro new tire?

When track is almost to making full grip but still in transition from early moist slick not quite there yet, and in some cases track stays moist slick never gets good grip. But I wouldn't call that a SOAKED tire that's simply an older tire capped off aggressive a few times ( which is the way to go when track is close to being there but still slick ), a soaked tire would be wiped all week with a medium base prep punching like 50 then capped with aggressive and would be used early while still moist slick, or softer heavy moist yet. A straight up 2021 would be right as the track gets to making good grip moist slick goes away, then next would be a 2020 or 2019 straight up as track gets to making real good grip ( Provided it gets good enough ). Profile, thickness, of tires all come into play as well of course.

I've never found the need for wiping a fresh 2021 with ANY prep, your only taking potential speed out of the tire for when a fresh straight up tire is the ticket, have an older set wiped with only medium for those times.

I've never found the need for wiping a fresh 2021 with ANY prep, your only taking potential speed out of the tire for when a fresh straight up tire is the ticket, have an older set wiped with only medium for those times.
Man i raced with a guy and he never done alot of anything with his tires,and he won a many 500$ races.he always ran 22’s on left side and 33’s on the rs.he would start his kart and hit the tires with a wire brush.he would refuse to grind them too.cause i would always offer to do it for him but he wouldnt go for it.but he was fast man just fast.🤷🏻‍♂️He said chemicals just ruin em and cost money..

Back