Some questions to Help us do better for the sport

racing promotor

What are some things we need to do a better job at to get more new people involved.
And then once we get them started what do we need to do better to Keep them .
Figured the beginners forum was good place to start.

some things to do a better job at to get more new people involved:
  1. Most kids my son goes to school with don't even know our local track exists. One of my ideas is the racing community should get into local events with our karts to promote it (e.g., parades, festivals, etc.). Getting more kids interested is the start, then it's mom and dad.
  2. What is mom and dads big holdback when they get asked by their kid if they can race? For us it was how do we get involved. Someone was kind enough to let us test drive a kart when we visited our local track. Someone above mentioned rental rides. This is a good idea so the kid can figure out how much they really like it before mom and dad drop thousands of dollars.

once we get them started what do we need to do better to Keep them:
  1. Mechanical/technical help: I may be the exception but I was not a wrench turner and didn't even own a socket set or wrenches. For me it was a little bit intimidating going to the track when we first started. I did not know who I could ask questions too, most people were busy or seemed unfriendly (even if they were friendly).
  2. some kind of financing or long term rental: nothing in racing is cheap.
  3. Access to information: Bob's is great, but there is a lack of online content for racing, especially oval racing.
  4. Improved speaker/sound systems: the first few months I cannot count how many times we missed the grid due to poor sound systems and the rush to get the karts lined up.
If my son wasn't so set on being a race car driver I think I would have walked from discouragement just from the things listed above.

Also a big disappointment was we watched some of the tracks we were at make a bad call and then change it and then change it again. When there is a call to be made and it keeps changing the crowd can start to get a little out of hand. My point being most tracks need to make a decision and stick with it for the sake everyone. And yes we suffered a bad call or two against us but we understand the track teams do the best they can.

All this said, if asked today would we do it again I we would tell you hell yea. So I think it really is mostly an entry problem into this sport.

promotion is the key. bring karts to local car shows and bring flyers from your local tracks and kart shops motor heads are motor heads wouldn't hurt to fire up a limited and crack the throttle once or twice. most peoples idea of karting is the rental tracks.
I get my kart to the track on a flat bed trailer I see tons of people looking and pointing every time its hitched up. I get thumbs ups and people trying to ask questions at stop lights.
The local tracks could go out and ask local gas stations, restaurants etc to display flyers for big money races. you would think races like the Big O or the Thunder would have radio ads.

I've been brain storming this exact topic lately. Just like it was mentioned above, people don't even know our track exists even though it's been there for 40 years or more. That alone says that we just need to get the word out. I'm hoping to get a few members of our club to do 2 car shows each this year to pass out flyers and glad hand people. Also talking to previous members who out grew karting and own local businesses. They are all happy to advertise at their stores and talk about the track. As soon as our schedule comes out I want to convince the track to host a kart parts swap meet but also invite other auto related people and Facebook groups to join. This would happen on a practice day so people could watch and listen to the karts as they buy & sell. AND I'm working towards getting 2 loaner karts together, one for kids (done) and an adult clone with a mild engine. These would be available during the practice day / swap meet as well as any race day. Already working on making a list of anyone with a kart for sale this way as soon as someone is interested, they know where to get one. I hear stories of over 100 karts a night at our track, but now it's closer to 20. There has to be a bunch collecting dust in this town. Good luck everyone!

I 100% agree. I am in highschool and personally got two of my friends racing, by simply bringing them with me to the track a few times. People are generally interested in karting and dirt track racing as a whole, but don't easily get exposed to it. It's a cool thing, and I geniunely believe motorsports is making a comeback at least with people my age. It is SO hard to find info about dirt track racing in general. I know facebook generally has decent info, but it's not a platform everyone is on. I feel like you have to be in the ecosystem to get the info which in the end is negative for racing. I think these platforms like Flo that not only have a modern interface, but also produce really good social media content on multiple platforms are really gaining interest for racing in general. For some reason like 90% of dirt racers/industry members including guys on the WOO tour have the worst websites in the world or none at all. This seems ridiculous in a time where anyone can make one pretty inexpensively.

For those building karts to put someone in that has never raced, hasn't really been thought through.
How much of your money do you want to share with someone when they wreck and sue you?

For those building karts to put someone in that has never raced, hasn't really been thought through.
How much of your money do you want to share with someone when they wreck and sue you?
I'm not sure where the liability falls if this were to occur. Because of the unknown, I chose not to put together a kart for someone else to ride. Heck, I don't even like to bolt up tires on someone else's kart.

Do you think simply providing the kart that they were injured in holds the kart owner liable? I would think this would be a rare occurrence that somebody was severely injured enough that this would be considered but agree that it can and does happen. I would think they'd have to prove the kart was faulty which resulted in the accident. Either way if I had to hire a lawyer I'm losing.

I'm not sure where the liability falls if this were to occur. Because of the unknown, I chose not to put together a kart for someone else to ride. Heck, I don't even like to bolt up tires on someone else's kart.

Do you think simply providing the kart that they were injured in holds the kart owner liable? I would think this would be a rare occurrence that somebody was severely injured enough that this would be considered but agree that it can and does happen. I would think they'd have to prove the kart was faulty which resulted in the accident. Either way if I had to hire a lawyer I'm losing.
Yes.
I have been a part of 2 lawsuits involving karts, this is when I discovered that the waviers we sign aren't really worth the paper they are written on.
Your kart, you knew the driver was inexperienced, neglect on your part.....end of story.

If you want to keep them in the sport have a tire rule.
Tire rules have kept me from visiting different tracks. I went to an indoor coke syrup race and did very well on Firestones. The next year it was Hoosier A-40's only. I had to buy 2 sets of Hoosiers for 1 weekend of racing. The next year it was Burris 33's only. I sold the Hoosiers and won't consider racing that event again. The only tire rule i would support is no Maxxis allowed.

some things to do a better job at to get more new people involved:
  1. Most kids my son goes to school with don't even know our local track exists. One of my ideas is the racing community should get into local events with our karts to promote it (e.g., parades, festivals, etc.). Getting more kids interested is the start, then it's mom and dad.
  2. What is mom and dads big holdback when they get asked by their kid if they can race? For us it was how do we get involved. Someone was kind enough to let us test drive a kart when we visited our local track. Someone above mentioned rental rides. This is a good idea so the kid can figure out how much they really like it before mom and dad drop thousands of dollars.

once we get them started what do we need to do better to Keep them:
  1. Mechanical/technical help: I may be the exception but I was not a wrench turner and didn't even own a socket set or wrenches. For me it was a little bit intimidating going to the track when we first started. I did not know who I could ask questions too, most people were busy or seemed unfriendly (even if they were friendly).
  2. some kind of financing or long term rental: nothing in racing is cheap.
  3. Access to information: Bob's is great, but there is a lack of online content for racing, especially oval racing.
  4. Improved speaker/sound systems: the first few months I cannot count how many times we missed the grid due to poor sound systems and the rush to get the karts lined up.
If my son wasn't so set on being a race car driver I think I would have walked from discouragement just from the things listed above.

Also a big disappointment was we watched some of the tracks we were at make a bad call and then change it and then change it again. When there is a call to be made and it keeps changing the crowd can start to get a little out of hand. My point being most tracks need to make a decision and stick with it for the sake everyone. And yes we suffered a bad call or two against us but we understand the track teams do the best they can.

All this said, if asked today would we do it again I we would tell you hell yea. So I think it really is mostly an entry problem into this sport.
As i posted in a different thread yesterday. Pictures and a write-up in the local paper's sports section go a long way. I was surprised by how many people had no idea kart racing was a thing so close to their home town until they said "was that you i saw in the paper last week?"

Attachments

• IMG_20210419_104317255.jpg
    IMG_20210419_104317255.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 17
As i posted in a different thread yesterday. Pictures and a write-up in the local paper's sports section go a long way. I was surprised by how many people had no idea kart racing was a thing so close to their home town until they said "was that you i saw in the paper last week?"
Local anything is the best thing you can do.
We had a kart that was race ready that was moved from auto parts to auto parts as a display.

When you take your son/daughter racing encourage them to invite some of their friends. A buddy invited me to come watch the races once. Next thing i knew i was buying a kart. Just had to have a go at it.
On that same note, it shouldn't be a financial burden to do so. $20 each to get into the pits X you, your child, and a few friends is a $100 bill.

When you take your son/daughter racing encourage them to invite some of their friends. A buddy invited me to come watch the races once. Next thing i knew i was buying a kart. Just had to have a go at it.
On that same note, it shouldn't be a financial burden to do so. $20 each to get into the pits X you, your child, and a few friends is a $100 bill.
Pits, and general seating should be separate and cheap entry to the bleachers.
A local track that is now a storage facility ak Dumplin Valley had a set of mobile bleachers, and a few places to park to watch for free outside the gate

Back