Sparlk Plug Question: Animal

spotteddawg

What's the typical plug life in an animal engine? What's the difference between the Autolite 3910 and 3910X plug? Anyone try the 3924 in an engine that's prone to fouling?

Can't speak with great authority on plug life in an Animal, but I've run a regular 3910 for 10 races and just replaced it on general principles. Don't know if that was good or just average. The regular 3910 has a center electrode and a side electrode like the majority of "normal" plugs out there. The 3910x has a center electrode and 4 points for the spark to jump to machined into the unthreaded end portion of the threaded body instead of one or more electrodes. This link should get you to a picture of the business end of one to make that a little clearer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/351011681539?lpid=82

We've run both the 3910 and the 3910x and, with all the other variables out there that can effect lap times, haven't found a difference between the two on the track - just our experience, not proof of any advantage or lack of advantage in running a 3910x. the big difference we noticed is that the 3910x cost $3.00 more. :)

We use a a 3924 in cold weather; while we haven't had a problem with fouling, that would be our first move for an at the track quick fix, until we could get a better handle on the cause of the fouling.

While the 3910X is legal for an Animal be aware that it is not legal for a LO 206.

Have never seen a worn out spark plug in any kart motor ever.
Have seen plenty of oil or fuel fouled plugs,
Plenty of cracked plugs as well.
Plugs people grind on to make the spark "pointy" whatever the hell this means LOL
3910x will oil or gas foul much easer then a 3910
Some motor tunes used are not robust with a 3910x and cause missfires.
3924 works but IMO is not nessary, You can fix a motor problem with a plug change to the 3924 but IMO your coving up the reason its missfiring

Yep
I agree. I've never seen a physically worn out one yet. Heck, even in a car they can last 100,000 miles now days.
I'd like to see a kart engine with 100,000 miles on it.
I think a lot of people change spark plugs just because they can.
Not because they need to be replaced.

fouled plug

We were out with a first run on a rebuild. Motor just seemed to be flat but we ended up being gear bound. Flushed motor after the race with vp110 race gas for 1minute. Removed the plug to take cht lead off and noticed that 3 of the 4 corners on the plug are black and the plug seems fouled. I have always flushed with gas and never seen this before. Possible motor problem or did the gas cause this? The plug was brand new to start the race. Animal motor w blue plate

Running gas through a carb that is properly set up for methanol should be overly rich and blacken the plug. If you don't like putting a new plug in every week you may be well served to getting a hot heat range plug to use exclusively for the flushing process.

I was using gas with 2 stroke oil mixed in to flush but stopped because I noticed that some of the mixture had back flushed out of the fuel pump into the gas line. Even the slightest amount will cause you to fail a water test.

Not to intentionally sound like someone else that often comments on this, but I would sure like to get an explanation of what "gear bound" means and how it works.

Gear bound as in minimal rpm drop and needing to go up on the driver...and did get water tested w/o a problem this weekend. You have to remember to shut your fuel off at the tank and use a seperate hose to your pump.

Back