Speed on the starts/restarts

What would cause someone to be .2 or more faster on the first lap but overall slower throughout the race? My son raced a kid a couple weeks ago and got ran over on the first lap because the kid was .2 faster than everyone on the first lap. He passed my son and the first place kid instantly but after the first lap my son and the original leader were consistantly faster than him. We saw this in qualifying too. His first lap was .2 faster than everyone but his fastest lap was .5 slower. Could this be caused by a smaller clutch gear or more air pressure or maybe his tires just firing off earlier than everyone else? Normally this isn't an issue because you always have someone faster on the first lap and they aren't always the fastest in the race but this kid literally runs over anyone in front of him and/or tries to wreck them on the first lap. I'm just trying to get ahead of them and figure out how my son can gain speed the first lap. We feel like our gear ratio is working overall at this track and our tires seem right but we really don't want our stuff wrecked just because he's slower on the first lap.

A tire prep made for firing off at the start.

Smaller front driver gear

Cheater fuel/substance in the carb, particularly if it is a comer but then you should be on a 10/89 gear rule.

If hes consistently fast first lap .
Instruct the driver to let em by , then pass em on the next lap .
That way your not in the fence .
Gotta pay attention to where everyone is on the line up .
There likely on a smaller driver , and preped too soft.

What would cause someone to be .2 or more faster on the first lap but overall slower throughout the race? My son raced a kid a couple weeks ago and got ran over on the first lap because the kid was .2 faster than everyone on the first lap. He passed my son and the first place kid instantly but after the first lap my son and the original leader were consistantly faster than him. We saw this in qualifying too. His first lap was .2 faster than everyone but his fastest lap was .5 slower. Could this be caused by a smaller clutch gear or more air pressure or maybe his tires just firing off earlier than everyone else? Normally this isn't an issue because you always have someone faster on the first lap and they aren't always the fastest in the race but this kid literally runs over anyone in front of him and/or tries to wreck them on the first lap. I'm just trying to get ahead of them and figure out how my son can gain speed the first lap. We feel like our gear ratio is working overall at this track and our tires seem right but we really don't want our stuff wrecked just because he's slower on the first lap.
Which class and motor ?

If hes consistently fast first lap .
Instruct the driver to let em by , then pass em on the next lap .
That way your not in the fence .
Gotta pay attention to where everyone is on the line up .
There likely on a smaller driver , and preped too soft.
The second race my son did just that but he blocked my son and drove all over the track to prevent him from passing him. My son attempted two times to pass and he chop blocked him both times.

The Kid could just loose focus and start missing his marks some, or once up to speed he does not feel secure with what he's feeling and does not run as hard.

The second race my son did just that but he blocked my son and drove all over the track to prevent him from passing him. My son attempted two times to pass and he chop blocked him both times.
[/QUOTE

Drive around the high side or move them, you choose at that point.

What happens on a restart , I race with a Dr. , he was putting Hydrozeen on on the air filter, talk to the flag man , have him hold the green a couple of times, any funny fuels will be burnt off

IF they are waiting until the very last second to start on the grid, then they "might" be running something in their fuel/line or frozen air filter, but even then it's doubtful.
I suspect they are simply on the wrong gearing - ie smaller driver or bigger rear gear, which causes a great start, but once up to speed tops out and is gear bound.
Good question above: What happens on a restart? That should explain a lot.

If he's good at blocking and the track is "ok" with it, then it sounds like a good tactic to stay ahead of the field.
Personally, I wouldn't want to race anyone like that. The track (and their insurance provider) should not either.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Hydrazine is an inorganic compound with the chemical formula N
2H
4. It is a simple pnictogen hydride, and is a colorless and flammable liquid with an ammonia-like odor.

Hydrazine is highly toxic and dangerously unstable unless handled in solution as e.g., hydrazine hydrate (NH
2NH
2 · xH
2O). As of 2015, the world hydrazine hydrate market amounted to $350 million.[8] Hydrazine is mainly used as a foaming agent in preparing polymer foams, but applications also include its uses as a precursor to polymerizationcatalysts, pharmaceuticals, and agrochemicals.

About two million tons of hydrazine hydrate were used in foam blowing agents in 2015. Additionally, hydrazine is used in various rocket fuels and to prepare the gas precursors used in air bags. Hydrazine is used within both nuclear and conventional electrical power plant steam cycles as an oxygen scavenger to control concentrations of dissolved oxygen in an effort to reduce corrosion.[9]

IF they are waiting until the very last second to start on the grid, then they "might" be running something in their fuel/line or frozen air filter, but even then it's doubtful.
I suspect they are simply on the wrong gearing - ie smaller driver or bigger rear gear, which causes a great start, but once up to speed tops out and is gear bound.
Good question above: What happens on a restart? That should explain a lot.

If he's good at blocking and the track is "ok" with it, then it sounds like a good tactic to stay ahead of the field.
Personally, I wouldn't want to race anyone like that. The track (and their insurance provider) should not either.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I think the wrong gear is exactly what's happening. There wasn't a caution this time and it was his first time moving up to my son's class so I haven't seen what happens on a restart. We told our son if he blocks and cuts down into him when he tries to pass that his only option is to push him square on the bumper and move him out of his way. Our son always tries to pass clean but sometimes he needs to be more aggressive.

Depending on his age, he may be doing some silly things and missing his marks or trying to let people catch up so he can actively race them. Doesn't explain qualifying though. Its probably a combination of the things posted above actually.

Just a long shot, but; he could be jetted just right for when the engine is cool, when it gets hot, it leans out. I've never raced 4 cycles, but I've seen this happen with 2 cycles many times. Just off hand, to they have tech at your track?

Just a long shot, but; he could be jetted just right for when the engine is cool, when it gets hot, it leans out. I've never raced 4 cycles, but I've seen this happen with 2 cycles many times. Just off hand, to they have tech at your track?
They do tech, if you want to call it that, usually they just shine a light to make sure the plate color is correct. One time they checked our running lift but I've never seen them check anyone else's.

Back