Spindle/L-block changes

The effect is opposite on each side, when only turning the wheel to the left.

Left front is exactly what XXX said. More spindle angle increases the caster effect creating more and faster weight transfer (to the RR) with higher steered camber gains.

Right front would be the opposite. More spindle angle decreases the RF caster effect which reduces and slows weight transfer (to the RF) with lower steered camber gains.

3 measurements on the front geometry, caster, kingpin inclination and camber. Ackerman steering geometry I and also effects steering.

5/10, 10/10, is that referring to degrees of kingpin inclination?

Here's 2 pictures showing the difference between no kingpin inclination and 10° kingpin inclination. The caster is set at 12° on both. Notice the arc (in black) with the 10° kingpin inclination. That's the path the end of the spindle travels in. That's a straight line with no kingpin inclination.
2020-09-14 (1).png2020-09-14 (2).png

3 measurements on the front geometry, caster, kingpin inclination and camber. Ackerman steering geometry I and also effects steering.

Actually, the 4th is scrub radius, which can be anything from zero effect (if the wheel is centered over the kingpin) to a HUGE effect if the wheel is outboard of the kingpin by a significant amount.

PM

Actually, the 4th is scrub radius, which can be anything from zero effect (if the wheel is centered over the kingpin) to a HUGE effect if the wheel is outboard of the kingpin by a significant amount.

PM
Only thing I would change to above is tire contact patch centered under the kingpin. Camber changes this to make quite a difference.

Who cares where the wheel is?

Last edited:
( just in case ) If your asking because you think there is significant speed to be found with a change forget it until your running top 3 every time you hit the track, and even then make sure your running against top notch competition with a large field of entries.

Back