spiral wrist pin locks

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
It appears i may have been sent the wrong piston. is about .109 out of the hole. has .490 wrist pin. They were a bugger to get in.. can you get them out without destroying them? Looking for suggestions before i go digging around with a pick.
thanks

Those things will make the pope cuss. I always threw them in the trash and made teflon buttons for mine.
This is my next step !! if I can ever get the spiral lock out. not having any luck... has anyone ever got the clip out???? no play in the wrist pin to get a pinch on both sides and the pick just spins it in the groove it fits. I'd hate to think i spent $170+ to learn a lesson on pre-assembly mock up.

Solution, ! after much conversation with some builders. Here's what i did. with a mirco bit. .011 i set it against the clip where it meets the alum of the wrist pin hole. (.049 pin) with as much angle as i could get i started twisting the bit. i made just enough of a dimple in the clip and took just enough alum form the piston i could get my sharpened pic under the spiral clip and picked it out. the dimple in the alum is not visible with the naked eye unless you really looking and you have good eyes.

Lesson learned. i will mock up all motors before i snap in rings and retainers.

If you know how the trick to the instillation they are easy. Are you stretching them out so they look like a valve spring? thats the first step then you put one end in and proceed and go around in a circular pattern pushing it in with a little flat head. tales less than 30 sec

Have you ever had those buttons wear down?
They wear so little that it's negligible. When I made them, the length of the buttons and wrist pin was about .010 under bore diameter. They were a slight press fit in the wrist pin bore. After a whole year of racing, they were still good and they lightly polished the bore where they would contact.

Back