Sponsorship PowerPoint Presentation Topics to cover ideas?

SHIFT664

I am working up a PPP (PowerPoint Presentation) for some advertising partnership's to help fund the racing efforts next year.
My son and I race as of now, however my 8 y/o daughter is wanting to give it a try also. That leads me to believe that I am going to need more money then before.

What would be some of the main topics to put on the PPP slides?

What kind of cost to ask for per kart? And if they wanted to put decals on kart and enclosed trailer?

Any and all help and suggestions is much appreciated.

Matt
SIXSIXFOUR MOTORSPORTS

Family Man said it correctly. If you want a business to give you money - What's in it for them? Unless it's a friend or someone who's into karting, their business name on a kart or trailer wont actually get them any business. Be creative, offer to have coupons passed out to local racers and family at the track, offer to have the kart and driver make an afternoon appearance (if it's retail) as karts draw attention.

Good luck,

Race Safe & Have Fun!

SHIFT664

Family Man said it correctly. If you want a business to give you money - What's in it for them? Unless it's a friend or someone who's into karting, their business name on a kart or trailer wont actually get them any business. Be creative, offer to have coupons passed out to local racers and family at the track, offer to have the kart and driver make an afternoon appearance (if it's retail) as karts draw attention.

Good luck,

Race Safe & Have Fun!
That's a good idea about the coupons. That will at least get more people to the said business.
I had planned on making special appearances to those business'.

Keep the ideas coming.
:)

A

~AARDY~

the proposed business wants to know their ROI, marketing and advertising budgets are on the downturn of being compiled, squeek in before end of Nov and you'll have much better shot at being a part of their budget. It's not about how much this or that cost you, it's about what benefit will the business expect to receive from the transaction, and that's exactly what it is, a transaction. If you are not willing to treat it as a business transaction, then you are better off with a tin cup in front of the local foodmart asking for donations. Hate to sound blunt and crass about it, but its time to stop sugar-coating it, we've talked about this stuff before Matt.
Randy Roberson (r.i.p.) and I collaborated on a 17 chapter book on "sponsorship", I know I've made many a post in the past paraphrasing parts of the book, some of those posts directly to you Matt - but I'll point out a couple things again, as we dont have the old posts to go to ...
What you can do for the company to increase foot traffic (or online traffic) and how you propose to do that, and having a way to track the increase (if any) is what the company wants to hear. When you step into the "sponsorship" arena, you are now in business as a marketing/advertising contractor, treat each effort as such. You are contracting with that company to provide a service of advertising medium via your kart/trailer/website/and any other exposure you have the means to provide in exchange for X amount of dollars for that service.
The company is looking for the best exposure and value for their advertising dollar - explain to them that one alternative to the mainstream media outlets, that you can provide, is though your motorsports endevours. The newspaper can't and won't come out to their location every other Weds evening with a display to attract folks to their doors, that the television albiet a huge audience, has a far heftier pricetag than possibly even their entire annual advertising budget would allow. That while at the track, all the exposure you are able to garner for them is upon a captive audience, the spectators and other people in the pits aren't able to just turn the channel or fold up the paper and put it in the recycle bin.
Devise a way to promote the company to help increase foot traffic that's trackable so you can show the benefit and value of sponsoring you.

SHIFT664

the proposed business wants to know their ROI, marketing and advertising budgets are on the downturn of being compiled, squeek in before end of Nov and you'll have much better shot at being a part of their budget. It's not about how much this or that cost you, it's about what benefit will the business expect to receive from the transaction, and that's exactly what it is, a transaction. If you are not willing to treat it as a business transaction, then you are better off with a tin cup in front of the local foodmart asking for donations. Hate to sound blunt and crass about it, but its time to stop sugar-coating it, we've talked about this stuff before Matt.
Randy Roberson (r.i.p.) and I collaborated on a 17 chapter book on "sponsorship", I know I've made many a post in the past paraphrasing parts of the book, some of those posts directly to you Matt - but I'll point out a couple things again, as we dont have the old posts to go to ...
What you can do for the company to increase foot traffic (or online traffic) and how you propose to do that, and having a way to track the increase (if any) is what the company wants to hear. When you step into the "sponsorship" arena, you are now in business as a marketing/advertising contractor, treat each effort as such. You are contracting with that company to provide a service of advertising medium via your kart/trailer/website/and any other exposure you have the means to provide in exchange for X amount of dollars for that service.
The company is looking for the best exposure and value for their advertising dollar - explain to them that one alternative to the mainstream media outlets, that you can provide, is though your motorsports endevours. The newspaper can't and won't come out to their location every other Weds evening with a display to attract folks to their doors, that the television albiet a huge audience, has a far heftier pricetag than possibly even their entire annual advertising budget would allow. That while at the track, all the exposure you are able to garner for them is upon a captive audience, the spectators and other people in the pits aren't able to just turn the channel or fold up the paper and put it in the recycle bin.
Devise a way to promote the company to help increase foot traffic that's trackable so you can show the benefit and value of sponsoring you.
Very good info Steven. Thank you for that input.
Where is this book and what is it called? And what exactly did you write about that was directly related to me?

A

~AARDY~

Very good info Steven. Thank you for that input.
Where is this book and what is it called? And what exactly did you write about that was directly related to me?
Quite a few posts on the old now lost Bobs concerning help on sponsorship proposals, etc when you'd asked about the topic before - not necessarily about a powerpoint presentation, but of sponsorship in general.
The Book was called Motorsports, Marketing, & Money.

The above advice is excellent. I generally break it down into "Levels of Sponsorship" for non-kart companies. For example: Bronze, Silver and Gold levels. Each level has a different cost and client exposure. i.e. "Bronze", $X, Company name/logo in 2 inch lettering on right side of kart, back of t-shirt, in 4 inch lettering on trailer, two paid track admissions and preferred seating. "Silver", $XX, and more company name/logo exposure, larger lettering then to maximum exposure with "Gold" level sponsorship with the highest level service. I find with this tiered structure a "Bronze" level sponsor can be approached next year to move up to a "Silver" level if they are happy with my service. My strategy is to resist telling them what my expenses are.

Another practice others have found helpful is for the team to sponsor a charity in order for other companies to align themselves with the charity. For example: RacerX meets with the local childrens hospital and arranges to donate $20 to the hospital everytime he finishes in the top 5, in return he ask to put their logo on his kart. RacerX then contacts others sponsors and invites them to help support his team so the team can support the charity. Strategic use of a photo presentation will generally be successful.

fastbraden11

FAST N LOUD
running upfront
how your team is organized
surrounding yourself with good people
keeping a clean operation
that is how we have landed all our sponsors,its not a "who you know" thing anymore,...its a show me what you can offer me and represent my products ...track tac preps puts our tire game at the top,Markbilt performance gives us the power we need to be upfront,jammer to get the power to the ground,roll n prep to get the tires preped and ect,were very close to each of our sponsors and are like family.show em what you can offer them,start small and work your way up,the key words "start small"..it takes time and hard work,

A

~AARDY~

running upfronthow your team is organized
surrounding yourself with good people
keeping a clean operation
that is how we have landed all our sponsors,its not a "who you know" thing anymore,...its a show me what you can offer me and represent my products ...track tac preps puts our tire game at the top,Markbilt performance gives us the power we need to be upfront,jammer to get the power to the ground,roll n prep to get the tires preped and ect,were very close to each of our sponsors and are like family.show em what you can offer them,start small and work your way up,the key words "start small"..it takes time and hard work,
Highlighted is much more important for a karting related business compared to a non-karting related business. Sound advise for sure though Troy.
One way to look at things is, put yourself in the business owner's position - a karter comes to you looking for "sponsorship" of let's say $500, that's $500 that will come out of your pocket(the business checking acct or cashbox) ... what kinds of questions would you ask?

fastbraden11

FAST N LOUD
thanks buddy LOL,even ol troy needs a good schoolin every now and then
Highlighted is much more important for a karting related business compared to a non-karting related business. Sound advise for sure though Troy.
One way to look at things is, put yourself in the business owner's position - a karter comes to you looking for "sponsorship" of let's say $500, that's $500 that will come out of your pocket(the business checking acct or cashbox) ... what kinds of questions would you ask?

A

~AARDY~

Dupli-color (division of Sherwin Williams) sponsored me with a few hundred dollars worth of product (incl some tri-flow - also under the S.W. unbrella at the time) based on the proposal which was geared towards what exposure I would be able to give off the track as well as at the track. Granted, the brand and name recognition is what exposure they wanted, not so much trying to track "foot traffic", but if they could see their product in use and their name included in that use and documentation (pictures) of the completed project, I painted 2 karts using the dupli-color paints, then snapped a bunch of pic during stages of the painting, sent them to my corp contact. They used them on a couple different occasions on their website of projects of the month and some regional advertising - I made record of how many people I talked to about the dupli-color brand at the track and away from the track, kept a record of usage of product, etc - they got all that info as well. I offered them my services of being a "mouth" to talk to people about the brand and products. Now even more so with the vast use of FB by everyone, - that service of being another "verbal salesman of the brand" can help to entice a business to use as an alternative marketing medium.
JM2C