sprint car style fairing

Hobby87

Anyone out there have an old school style "sprint car" fairing they'd sell? Wanting to do a throw back paint scheme on a new kart I got.

Thanks, Matt

There are some new ones being produced, but don't know if they're released for production. They occasionally come up on eBay, and I've thought about doing some from a foam core and bondo plug... If you can't find any, let me know, and I'll look into it more seriously. I assume you're looking for these:
shane2.jpg

Years ago I took a good one, waxed it real with mold release wax, and pit a layer of fiberglass mat and then another layer of fiberglass cloth over it. Popped it off and had an instant mold. Simple. Unfortunately a tree which came down through my workshop took it out some time back. :(

Sounds like I need to make a mold. Let me look into materials cost, and I'll let you know pricing. I'm making some other fiberglass parts soon too, so this just adds to the list. :)

Yeah Ted, with a good one for a plug they're not hard to make. If you are close to any facility which manufactures fiberglass parts in the marine industry, ask what they'd charge to spray one with a chop gun. Seems to be a lot more requests for folks wanting them nowadays.

I had one back in the `80s, I believe came from Margay, was one piece fairing with a face shield on top that came down to wraparound inside the front bumper. Wish I still had it. Will look thru pictures.

I have one and have thought about making a mold off it. I have made seats before so know the process. If I get it done Ill let you all know. Mark

I've got a couple here in the shop from when I raced back in the 70s & 80's. Wouldn't part with either of them for anything...karts are long gone -- these just look cool hanging on the wall. Who knows, maybe someday I'll put a vintage kart together. :)
One that I ran on my Margays back in the early '80s is the sprint car style that is pictured on Ted's post -- the other looks like an even older sprint car hood with the rounded sides and top that I ran on my '66 Dart A-Bone.

At one time Comet Kart Sales had a TON of these in their back storage -- don't know if they still have any left lying around or not, but it might be worth a call.

Thanks,
Brian Carlson

Ted, That's the style! I think they one i saw locally was wider and not as tall in the rear, but, still same design. can you pm me with an idea on price, I'll probably order a couple as these are hot out in SoCal.

Thanks, Matt

Really kool conversation and that photo brings back memorys. I still have one like what was posted and the longer version, would not part with them for anything like Brian said lots of memorys.

I still have mine and my rear wing from 1987-1988. They ill hang on the garage wall for ever!!! Lots of great memories!!!

Hey thats my kart. lol. Thats funny. I purchased that kart and run it now with the faring on it. My younger brother has purchased on that is slightly shorter.

Like I said above I own the kart pictured above. I am currently racing with the fairing. Does anyone have a year and make on that one?

Appears to be Shane Smith's old kart (unless you're him!).....might be a place to start asking. I was going to guess Invader or Margay, but don't really know.

Back