Sprocket

Up on clutch-more speed and less acceleration. Down is opposite. Rear gear is just the opposite of the clutch.

The terms used when talking about gear ratios are; higher ratio and lower ratio. This can be a little confusing to the newcomer. A gear ratio is a number indicating how many revolutions the driving gear turns for each turn of the driven gear. For instance; if the gear on your engine has 15 teeth, and the gear on your axle has 60 teeth, it is called a 4 to 1 ratio. 60÷15 = 4 .0. If you put a 64 tooth sprocket on the axle, the ratio would be 64÷15 = 4 .27. Now even though 4.27 is a larger number than 4.0, we call that a lower gear ratio. I don’t know why, we just do. It may have something to do with auto transmissions. 1st gear is called low gear, (maybe 4 to 1) and 3rd gear is called high gear. (Maybe 2 to 1).

Look at it this way; if you add teeth to the axle, but don’t change the engine gear, it’s a lower gear ratio, if you add teeth to the engine, but don’t change the axle gear, it’s a higher gear ratio. Just divide the big gear by the small gear, the bigger the number, the lower the ratio.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

There has always been some confusion in this area, Higher ratio is actually lower for speed, Lower ratio is actually higher speed. We're talking numerical ratio.

^^^^^^^

Its nice to help a fellow racer out?

I meant to and thought I did, No one responds to more questions than I do especially per PM ,I love trying to Help unfortenetly then Al comes along, The last Thread has all the info in it that this one will end up with, and by the time he's done reading it all he will be that Damm confused all he can do is decide does he Take paper pusher advise or experienced guy's advise, that's the sort it out for himself comment.

Plus I think some of these post end up being made just to see the Amusement again to stir the pot some more.

I love trying to Help unfortenetly then Al comes along, The last Thread has all the info in it that this one will end up with, and by the time he's done reading it all he will be that Damm confused all he can do is decide does he Take paper pusher advise or experienced guy's advise, that's the sort it out for himself comment.

Plus I think some of these post end up being made just to see the Amusement again to stir the pot some more.
apparently my post confused you, but you're being a little presumptuous thinking that it will confuse everybody, or anybody else for that matter.

I am not just a paper pusher when it comes to karting. I raced for many years. I built karts, I built exhaust systems, engines and sold parts. I worked for many years as a pit boss. I've been a race director and flagman. Of all the things I've done in karting, teaching people about gears and ratios has been the easiest of all of them. I don't mind you questioning my advice, but I do mind you questioning my kart related ability, or my experience.

What I really mind is, your questioning my sincerity. The green eyed monster pushes us to do terrible things.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Back