SS-11s

What are the new 11s durometering now for most people? I recently got a set that was 32 new off the shelf. Most I have got before have been more around 38ish.

Have seen the sets iv worked for guys come out at 34-35 average when new this year, last year they were a little harder like what you saw, 37-38

Hi guys. Let me shed a little light on the hardness/durometer issue. To get accurate durometer readings they have to be done in a controlled situation otherwise you are on your own and argue until the cows go home about the readings you get. (here is the standard testiing medhod http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shore_durometer ) variations such as heat, airpressure, rubber thickness to name a few, can cause the readings to vary greatly so in reality all most of you are getting from punching your tires are comparative readings. That being said, in most cases the softness (or hardness) of the rubber tells very little about a tires traction performance and IMO has just muddied the waters in recent years. In fact our new harder rubber compounds actually have more grip than the softer ones but people insist leaving their set ups as is and dope tires rather than work on set up and get the kart to transfer more down force to the tires which is were most traction is gained. There is obviously a lot more to it than that but it will give you an idea of what a minor roll the durometer plays in our tires. I'm sure I created more questions than I did answers so let me know what's on your mind and Kurt or I will be along shortly to help out.

Mike

Woah, yeah you took me back to a few years ago when i thought durometer readings wasnt such a big deal and i was just now starting to think otherwise lol
So now im curious of how the harder compounds have more "bite" or "grip" than say the 11s.

Burris is absolutely dead on, always check the durometer of the tires at a certain air pressure and temperature, otherwise you'll get a different reading every time. I check all of mine at race pressures and at room temp. You might notice that the durometer reading gets higher as the tires get thinner also, its because the durometer is actually hitting the chords in the tire rather than the rubber itself, which will cause some high readings in certains spots of the tire when its worn. When tires get that worn out, i give them away or throw them away and get new ones. Softer duro doesnt always mean more grip or bite either, thats another good point.

002, i believe its the materials the tires are made with that gives them more bite or grip, such as more natural or synthetic rubber. Im sure Burris Racing can verify that and give you better info though, im interested in that answer myself.

Weddle, I have to laugh everytime I see a post that says they cut the rubber off the tread to get to the harder rubber when all they have done is "fool" the durometer. haha

Weddle, I have to laugh everytime I see a post that says they cut the rubber off the tread to get to the harder rubber when all they have done is "fool" the durometer. haha

I do also, some people must think they figured out a secret or something lol.

Weddle, tires are really straight forward and the more some of these "tire guru's" do the more of a variable they become. Eliminating the variables is the key to becoming consistent in ANY kind of racing. If you leave your tires alone and work on chassis you'll be surprised how much mechanical grip is there waiting for you. Just sayin'

Back