Stage 1 Predator Locking up

Patrick1

Hi I am new to small engines and this forum but I have looked around and I could not find an answer. I recently bought a go kart online to fix up and it was running ok. I decided to put a stage 1 kit on it (including gov deletion) and cleaned out the carb. That night it ran like a beauty but it was dark and rainy so i wasnt able to ride it very much. The next day when i tried to start it, the pull chord was locking up and I could not start it. I reset the valve lash at least 10 times and nothing changed. It pulls fine when the spark plug is out so i think it is a valve problem. However, after this didnt work, I took off the side cover (the cam shaft fell out and i put it back in. Idk if it was set properly before) and checked if there was any debris in there jamming it up. After finding nothing, I reassembled the side cover and tried to start it. It worked perfectly and started right up in one easy pull. So I put back together the whole go kart and tried to start it again. And the problem was back for some reason. It was locking up and I could not pull it. Is there anything else I can try to fix this problem. (Oh and I forgot to mention that it was not hydrolocked either). Sorry if this has been answered already but I have looked everywhere... Thanks!

No its way too hard to pull on the compression stroke every time. I broke a pullcord and I cant start it every time I try.

You're probably adjusting the valve lash on the overlap stroke instead of the compression stroke.

Read this twice then follow the method .
No more then .002 thousandths clearance .

95 shaw
Premium User
Oct 30, 2019
Add bookmark

The valve adjustment can be a lttle trickey with the compression release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The method to adjust on the base circle of the cam.

Turning in the direction the engine runs;

As the exhaust starts to open, adjust the intake valve.

Turn further in the same direction;

After the intake has opened completely and just starts to close, adjust the exhaust.

No danger of being on the compression release.

Works for any engine requiring the valves to be adjusted on the base circle of the cam

Read this twice then follow the method .
No more then .002 thousandths clearance .

95 shaw
Premium User
Oct 30, 2019
Add bookmark

The valve adjustment can be a lttle trickey with the compression release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The method to adjust on the base circle of the cam.

Turning in the direction the engine runs;

As the exhaust starts to open, adjust the intake valve.

Turn further in the same direction;

After the intake has opened completely and just starts to close, adjust the exhaust.

No danger of being on the compression release.

Works for any engine requiring the valves to be adjusted on the base circle of the cam
I did exactly as you said and it still is hard to pull

Last edited:
When you started it on the bench did you have the clutch on?
When you started it on the kart did you have the clutch and chain on?

I did exactly as you said and it still is hard to pull
Then it's is going to require double-checking the cam hash marks .
Crankshaft Not galled to rod . Piston contact everything that can collide .
Start with the things you have changed .
First i would reset the valves even though you have .

When you started it on the bench did you have the clutch on?
When you started it on the kart did you have the clutch and chain on?
The clutch was not on when i started it on the bench but it was on it with the chain when i tried on the kart. That’s not the problem though. I dont have the clutch on now and its still not pulling.

I know that I have the cam aligned and its not galled (there were no metallic flakes in the old oil). When i have the spark plug out it pulls just fine. So i dont think its any sort of mechanical jamming i think it’s the compression. Really stumped why adjusting the valves isn’t fixing it…

Is there a chance your starter is locking up? Next time it locks up remove the starter and see if you can turn the flywheel by hand through the compression stroke

Did you remove and reinstall the flywheel ?
Timing advanced too far could be an issue .
The compression release may have failed .
Can you see it working when turning the engine over with the valve cover off ?

Did you remove and reinstall the flywheel ?
Timing advanced too far could be an issue .
The compression release may have failed .
Can you see it working when turning the engine over with the valve cover off ?
- No I didn’t reinstall the flywheel.
- Good idea that could be it. I was hoping it wasn’t cuz i dont know much about it. Lol
- How can I tell if it is working?

Judging by your newness to small engines, I am thinking the clutch wasnt lubricated and is now stuck to the crankshaft. Can you take the clutch bolt out and slide the clutch off? And when bolted, do you have sideplay with the clutch moving in and out on the crankshaft? You need a little.

Back