Stagger and rim size

Bryantracing11

Ok new to karting and trying to figure out what rim sizes to run for "correct" stagger we're running Burris tx11 and our fronts are 34 3/4 with 6 1/2 inch rims. We're running a smaller tire setup. Kids class red plate clone. Tia

Right. I'm not really needing the best stagger I'm more so needing the rim size to get my stagger. I'm running a 36 1/2 on rr 35 1/2 on lr and both fronts are 34 3/4 on 6 1/2 inch wide rims. I put one on a 6 inch rim and it didn't change it

Honestly I would ask others at your track what they run. I think rim size plays more into spring rate than tire diameter unless youre talking huge rim size changes.

What shape track and what is the surface? Most dirt ovals racers run 10” rims on the right, 8-1/2” LR, 6-1/2l LF. Stagger is then achieved by stretching or shrinking tires. Right sides are usually set to 33-3/4 or 34. Pick a size and stick with it. Work left side tires to get the stagger you want.

It is about a10th mile oval and it's banked. Not sure on the dirt. It's pretty fine and they have to water it a lot. That's what I figured or about that anyway. We were gonna try 8 1/2" rr 7 1/2"lr and the 6 1/2" up front. We're running a red plate clone so I figured the less weight and less smaller ground coverage would help with keeping rpms up. I could be wrong though. Like I said I'm pretty new to all this. How do you shrink a tire? Ive read about stretching them and thought about trying to stretch the one on the right to 35" but shrinking one by an inch would be a lot.

What tires ?
Shrinking is opposite of stretching .
Take valve core out heat and then cool .
If you dunk it in ice be sure too hold your finger over the valve stem or put a long piece of hose on it .
No water in the tire .

It is about a10th mile oval and it's banked. Not sure on the dirt. It's pretty fine and they have to water it a lot. That's what I figured or about that anyway. We were gonna try 8 1/2" rr 7 1/2"lr and the 6 1/2" up front. We're running a red plate clone so I figured the less weight and less smaller ground coverage would help with keeping rpms up. I could be wrong though. Like I said I'm pretty new to all this. How do you shrink a tire? Ive read about stretching them and thought about trying to stretch the one on the right to 35" but shrinking one by an inch would be a lot.
So you are running the same tire and wheel on both fronts?
Is it a flat kart?

Running the same size fronts is pretty common on the winged outlaw karts (QRC recommends it.)
I do not.
I prefer to run a wide RF like the flat karts do.
I've found that you can run significantly less caster (and camber) in the front when using a wide front rather than the narrow one, and that less caster is faster (ie roll speed.)
With the rocker cage, the car reacts more like a flat kart anyhow, other than jerking/unloading the LR quicker.

I also recommend running the same circumference right sides so it keeps the tilt and rake in your kart the same as it was designed from the chassis manufacturer. All flat karts are designed for 34" right sides.

On a standard flat kart (no cage - bolt on, spring, etc.) I'd try to get your right side tires to be the same, or very close, in circumference, and start with 1 1/2" front stagger. For rear stagger, look at the track size (radius of the corners and the length of the straights) as a starting point. For stockers, 1 1/4" rear is common at most 1/5 - 1/7 mi. ovals. More stagger for smaller tracks, less for bigger tracks (again, generalizations here.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Mounting a tire on a narrower wheel can make the tire circumference greater, sure, but it's often better to size tires with heat and pressure to stretch them if you need them bigger around.
There are plenty of threads on sizing (stretching and shrinking) tires on this site. Check out the search feature in the upper right hand of the screen.

yes as of right now we are running the same tire and rim on front and no it's a caged kart. We have an inch stagger on the back right now and am trying to get an inch and a half on the front.

Right. I'm not really needing the best stagger I'm more so needing the rim size to get my stagger. I'm running a 36 1/2 on rr 35 1/2 on lr and both fronts are 34 3/4 on 6 1/2 inch wide rims. I put one on a 6 inch rim and it didn't change it
just to get on the track and get some seat time:

Put the biggest 36 1/2 on the right rear
the 35 1/2 on the right front
the 34 3/4 on the 6 1/2 inch rim on the left front
the 34 3/4 on the 6 inch rim on the left rear

If he/her is loose or spinning out all the time first try swapping left side tires front to back and/or let a pound of air out of the left rear tire
if it won't turn first try letting a pound of air out of the left front
>>>the important thing to learn doing so to fix either problem is the realization what putting more grip to either the front or back does for you<<<

Next i'm sure you'll be wondering how putting grip to it left and right front or back does for you over adding grip front or rear.
Getting a "feeling" for that will be worth a lot more in learning then worrying about hitting the stagger right on for given track circumstances.
... that will come with time

right now for you it's about seat time, seat time and more seat time

... i'm sure i'll be corrected on here if this idea is out in left field. ... :)

Last edited:
Back