Stagger Calculato r (inch and metric)

Yep Al,

You run the tape measure around the big tire to find it's diameter.
Then when you run it around the smaller tire the measure goes around the tire to past zero on the tape measure and you can read the exact stagger by how far it goes past zero right next to your big tires diameter measurement.

I think I got it right? I can never remember if I should measure the big or little tire first. ... :)

Yes it called a tape measure
That's exactly how you do it, if you only want to know how much stagger you have "right now". Difference is, my stagger calculator tells you how much stagger you need, depending on the track size, (ID & track width ) depending on the circumference of your RR tire, depending on the outside measurement on the rear tires and depending on how far off the outside wall you come. It uses those measurements to calculate the needed left rear tire circumference and with that it gives you a stagger number. Now I'm not saying it will give you the exact stagger, but I'll bet you it's real close.
Even after all that, I'm pretty sure there needs to be a compromise between the exact stagger for the turn radius and how much that stagger will slow you down on a long straight. No way to calculate that that I know of. Some tracks have tight radius turns, with a long straight, and others the opposite. I would think you need to find some compromise in those cases.

alvin
you are leaving out several things, like chassis design,grip in the track, weight class and so on. I'm going to say this with respect, just because you can work it out on paper doesn't mean it will work. The chassis designer's have recommendation's for a reason.

alvin
you are leaving out several things, like chassis design,grip in the track, weight class and so on. I'm going to say this with respect, just because you can work it out on paper doesn't mean it will work. The chassis designer's have recommendation's for a reason.
I've never raced dirt LTO, so it's hard for me to argue with you on the subject. I'm sure everything you mentioned all have something to do with the proper set up. With that in mind, in your case, there's probably no reason to try my stagger calculator.

Back