Stagger poll

ENGRacing

Site Supporter
Recommendations / experience on optimal rear stagger for medium - high bite, 6-7 degrees of banking dirt track.

1709841124993.png

Last edited:
This could be fun.
As calculated by Nine Sheets .
2 5/8 if 35' is inside tire track.
2 3/4" if its 33.50 for the inside tire .

Dirt. Yeah I feel like this is one of those instances where you don’t go by the math. Was just curious if anybody else had run a similar track.

I did a Bard AI and here is the result: ... :)

calculate dirt oval stagger​

Dirt oval stagger refers to the intentional difference in size between the left and right rear tires on a race car. This difference allows the car to turn left more easily on the oval track because one tire will travel a greater distance than the other during a corner.
There isn't a one-size-fits-all answer for calculating dirt oval stagger as it depends on several factors including:
  • Track characteristics: Tighter corners or flatter tracks will require more stagger than wider turns with more banking.
  • Car setup: How the car is otherwise adjusted will also play a role in determining optimal stagger.
Here are some general guidelines to keep in mind:
  • More stagger: This will make the car turn easier left but can also cause it to be loose (lose traction) and wander on straightaways.
  • Less stagger: The car will resist turning left (push) but will be more stable on straightaways.
Starting with a baseline recommended stagger for your specific car and track conditions is a good starting point. You can then fine tune the stagger amount based on how the car handles during practice runs.
Here are some resources that you might find helpful:
  • TIRE STAGGER 101: [invalid URL removed] explains the concept of tire stagger in detail.
  • How to Set Tire Stagger and Understand its Affect for your Race Car!: [invalid URL removed] is a YouTube video that explains how to set tire stagger.

I believe the General consensus for banking . More banking the less stager needed .
6* is some , not sure I would say its a-lot , or even enough to be a consideration .

Stagger is one of many tools used to adjust the amount of grip at each rear tire differently around the track..
The definition of stagger is usually the measured difference in inches of circumference and sometimes the difference of diameter, between the two rear tires.
The reason circumference is usually measured is because it measures a longer distance and the difference or Stagger amount is usually more accurate.
Tires on a solid axle rotate at the same RPM.
Because each is used differently at all places around the track to go around turns and straights efficiently, one tire or the other or both must always have some amount slip.
The reason you slip one or both rear tires is to try to eliminate any conflict for control of direction between each rear tire and the front tires.
The most efficient way around the track is to have every tire use the least amount of grip needed to control your direction at the maximum speed allowed per your over all grip and hp.
The two most important considerations worked together of being efficient and fast are available grip and available hp, followed by driver skill. ... :)
A change in stagger changes your ability to use grip at each rear tire.
It changes because it alters the difference in surface speed between the two rear tires and each rear tires surface speed compared to its travel speed on the track.
Weather an increase or decrease in stagger adds or subtracts grip from one or both rear tires is totally dependent on your ability to apply weight to each tire at every place around the track.
Experience is about knowing what tool or tools to use both on and off the track, to control grip at each tire at all places around the track

Seems Complicated?:

answer: yes it is complicated but I think I just presented the basics fairly well or at lease so so good ... :)

Last edited:
Back