STAGGER

I agree that that was a great post , if I were to add anything as a rule of thumb , I would state that :
Not enough stagger = push
Too much stagger = loose .
Would stagger then be the go-to rough adjustment to put you in the ballpark for balance between push and loose, with other adjustments used to fine-tune?

Writing now I'm thinking other things would first need to be at a good baseline and then you throw stagger at it per experience to best match up to your current track conditions.
Then and only then would fine-tuning other things work as intended to bring it in?

Then it would make setup baseline your chassis with recommended stagger and tires, then if experience warrants it change stagger and finally fine-tune with whatever is appropriate?

What is the most front and rear stagger a kart would generally see on a flatish dirt 1/10 oval track? I know there is not a lot of info to go on, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how much is too much in generality.

What is the most front and rear stagger a kart would generally see on a flatish dirt 1/10 oval track? I know there is not a lot of info to go on, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how much is too much in generality.
Front stay's close the same all the time 1 3/8" to 1 1/2", Max rear on dirt you should not have to go over 2" and that would be for a small 1/10 or 1/12 tight turn.

It's my believe that the stagger should match the radius of the turn. More precisely, the radius of the turn your kart is following. Some tracks have tight turns with long straights, while others have wide turns and short straights. The stagger would be different on these 2 tracks even though they're facts of the same length.

Some tracks have tight turns with long straights, while others have wide turns and short straights.
Yeah and if you set the stagger to go around a real tight turn, that sob would be fighting you so bad on the straightway that you would never make speed. I like the idea of using science, but most everyone knows that it doesn't work in this case. Or at least if it does work there are FAR more variables than radius of the turn and width of the contact patch. So many variables that it is impossible to calculate

Yeah and if you set the stagger to go around a real tight turn, that sob would be fighting you so bad on the straightway that you would never make speed. I like the idea of using science, but most everyone knows that it doesn't work in this case. Or at least if it does work there are FAR more variables than radius of the turn and width of the contact patch. So many variables that it is impossible to calculate
Your thinking just backwards, IF you fight the real hard turn you'll never make any speed !! Just how much straightway do you think a real tight turn track has !!

It's my believe that the stagger should match the radius of the turn. More precisely, the radius of the turn your kart is following. Some tracks have tight turns with long straights, while others have wide turns and short straights. The stagger would be different on these 2 tracks even though they're facts of the same length.
I've been to quite a few karting dirt tracks NEVER saw one with tight turns and long straights.

I've been to quite a few karting dirt tracks NEVER saw one with tight turns and long straights.
My favorite example is a nominal half mile sprint car dirt track here in South Central PA, Williams Grove Speedway. You have to have good horsepower for the straights, and know how much and when to hit the brakes, as it is a paperclip track of the first order. The tight turns place a premium on setup and knowing how/when to use the brakes. Don't know of an equivalent kart track, but I'm sure they exist, since we've been crew chief or pit crewed at more sprint car tracks than kart tracks.

Back