stagger

KOZ RACING

If you are looking to get 1 3/4 in the rear what are you looking to have the tires rollout at. Also should the front and rear rollout the same. Thanks

I keep all my right sides at 34". You would want the left rear at 32.25".
No you don't want the front the same as the rear as you will only need 1 3/8" - 1.5" front stagger.

it all depends on the type of track. if your on a short track, you can use as much stagger as you think you need, but if its a big haul ass track, you have to find the sweet spot to were you have just enough or you will start sacrificing speed because of a little physics issue that causes stagger lock which will kill your top end

You can usually use 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" front stagger on just about any chassis made from 2002+ and be just fine, while you may need 1" in the rear on some chassis and 1 1/2" in the rear on other chassis, really depends on what chassis you have and how it uses the tires. I also keep my rights at 34 or 34 1/2 and adjust stagger with left side tires, it makes things alot easier. You want the right sides to measure the same so you can swap the RF and RR if needed. How much stagger you need also depends on how you have your chassis set up as well.

If you keep your right sides the same (I like to keep mine at 34"), then the kart will be more predictable when you make slight changes on the scales. If, say, you have 34 1/4" on the RF, and 34" on the RR and then you start changing tires and end up with a pair at 34 1/4" on the right sides, you will have added right rear weight, reduced cross, and thrown a bunch of time and set-up time in the waste basket. I'm not against putting a bigger tire on one corner of the car if that's what it takes to get the stagger you want, BUT, consider how that change affects all aspects of the car (including corner weights.) If every right side tire in your trailer measures 34", when you make a change at the track you won't be having to re-scale or guess at how much you've changed the kart set-up.

It might not be so easy to get a LR down to 32 1/4" - but I think it'd be worth the effort (especially if you plan to run at other tracks where you don't need that much stagger and would prefer to keep your right sides smaller.) Could you use a LF on the LR like we do indoors or on pavement? That would be my approach - keep the right sides the same at 34" and do what you've got to do to get the LR small enough.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I keep all my right sides at 34". You would want the left rear at 32.25".
No you don't want the front the same as the rear as you will only need 1 3/8" - 1.5" front stagger.
so you're saying you want 1.75"of stagger? And this is regardless of the radius of the turn, or the length of the straightaway? I'm having trouble understanding that.

Thanks guys, Brian that's my biggest problem is with the lr . I have a 2013 slack and we run a tight bull ring. Didn't know if going with the lf on the lr would work?

Are you on a spec tire for the left rear, or can you run a different brand that might roll out smaller? For instance, you can get Hoosier left rears to size up smaller more easily than Burris (if that's an option at your track.)
Typical syrup and pavement set-up is to run a smaller (LF) tire on the LR to get the desired stagger you need. You will lose some left rear drive up off of the corner, but it's a trade-off that I'm willing to take if you can roll into the corner better with the right amount of rear stagger.
Simply cutting the LR to the cords and leaving the RR nearly full rubber will also make up a bit for you - but that would not be my first choice.

Give me a call here at the shop if I can be of any more help to you.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back