Start of the race

bullerman

How do some of the tracks you run start the race? We have two cones set up in the turn. The flag man is supposed to give the green flag in between the two cones. The pole guy is not supposed to start before the flag is given. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
I have seen and ran a couple of tracks that had a white line painted across the track which I liked myself. Gives you something to look at. Generally the pole guy would start when he got to the white line and the flag man would wave the green flag okaying the start. Just wondering how other tracks do it. I ran at one track that would make you almost creep to the start line then give you the green flag. Never did like that. Just wondering what some of the rest of the tracks do.

And occasionally theres a cone cant go before that .
We were tail end charlie one time . Driver laid way back , to get a run .
Got the black flag on that one .

I raced a track I haven't raced in a while. They have a new Promoter. He has a different starting procedure. Double file start at the start of the race which I like. He has one cone just as you come out of four and one cone half way down the straightaway. You can't pass until you go past that cone which basically means you can't pass. I have raced a lot of places but never had this.
I like Lucy's response
That's the way it should be. Also on some but not all of his restarts he had double file with the leader out front. It was OK but I feel better with single file on the cone, leader setting the pace and no passing until you get past the cone.
I hope he changes get his starts.

I raced a track I haven't raced in a while. They have a new Promoter. He has a different starting procedure. Double file start at the start of the race which I like. He has one cone just as you come out of four and one cone half way down the straightaway. You can't pass until you go past that cone which basically means you can't pass. I have raced a lot of places but never had this.
I like Lucy's response
That's the way it should be. Also on some but not all of his restarts he had double file with the leader out front. It was OK but I feel better with single file on the cone, leader setting the pace and no passing until you get past the cone.
I hope he changes get his starts.
It should not be that way on the initial start once the green flies it's on, that should only come into play once a lap is scored and there single file as it stops the dive bombing.

I prefer it be on the pole man to start the race. It feels like the karts in the 2nd or 3rd row start the race when it's on the flag man.

I think I like the cone midway down the front stretch (also the finish line at most tracks I go to) being a point of reference as to when passing is allowed. I've been to a weekly race where you weren't allowed to pass until turn 2. I think that was a bit much. It was probably put in place to send a message.

I think some flagmen drag the show out with restarts. I wouldn't care if the whole field takes off coming out of turn 2 when they should be starting in 3-4 if everyone goes. I see this a lot in JR classes where they start 1/2 way down the back chute and everyone stays together but the flagman waves it off. At some point, mainly on restarts, you have to know the competition and just let it go for sake of keeping the program moving.

Back