Starter hole

Ratistiss

We just got body panels for our new Jr. Champ. Guess I did not realize they were not manufactured with a hole for the starter to go through. So I was curious, what is the best way to cut the hole? Is there anything else I should be accounting for?

Consider if you move the engine
Often .
Carefully for sure a small location hole initially. Then you can adjust if needed .
Hole saw is easiest.
Might be able to pull the nerf bar
Pins and move it in closer for better accuracy . Or slip a socket on the starter nut .

Like Flattop said, a holesaw makes it simple. I would suggest mounting the engine, clutch with driver, rear gear and chain that will be used most often and chain first before you drill the hole. A small laser light held against your starter nut to assist marking your drill spot will help.

Holesaw for me too. If you make the hole only slightly larger than your socket is best. It doesn't have to be perfectly in line, but the closer the better. IF you find that you move your engine a lot from one track to the next to get the gearing right, you can drill a second hole parallel to the first and Dremel between the two to create one elongated hole.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com