Starting 2 stroke by yourself on the grid

Probably my only issue with two strokes is it’s a two man deal on the grid especially with opens. The motor wants full throttle while turning over, the clutch bites too much with no load (driver in seat) etc. regarding open alky two strokes on jackshafts, does anyone on here have any success with starting their own kart and hopping in it without the kart taking off or dying before they can drop the starter and hop in the seat?

Thats tough . We wouldn't do it with the even 4 strokes .
Start it , put the starter off to the side , then get in is asking alot .
Never had anyone turn me down if i asked them to start it .

I do it all the time as well. Clutch shouldn't engage so low that kart moves... That allows idle to be high enough that I can set starter down and hop in to burp it...

Ive always had to race alone, so have done it always. Wish I had friends to help but their not racers.

I have done it but I wouldn't recommend it. There is always someone around willing to give you a hand. I have a plarform with wheels I can set by the kart with the starter to start it from the seat but I don't use it on my good engines. Any missalignment can hurt your crank. I rac3 on my own most times too. You talk about 2 strokes but I havecexperienced my Aixro XR50 taking off without me and that little wankel has some torque. It used to be a common issue with direct drives when wechad to start them on our own without starters and jump into them.

I have at home put the starter on the crank sat in the seat and reached over and lift up the starter and hit the button and take off. If you rely on other racers on the grid like I do alot make sure you have a good starter nut. I had the old allen starter nut and the guy put it in to start and didn't have anywhere straight and busted the nut so I was done for the feature.

You could do like the comer guys . Carry a block that holds the rear tires up off the grid . Course finding it after some one tosses it off to the side could be a problem .
A brake safety lock of some type might be handy .
Forked dowel , pin type or spring .

Yamahas and Parillas started with lean low speed mixer, set starter aside, jump in kart and adjust low speed back to parade lap settings.

DK

Safest thing to do is ask another kart starter to start you, teach him how to start a 2 cycle before the race

Wasn't a case on the grid last week at our local track but a friend had the throttle on his 125 stick wide open going into the corner at a track with concrete barriers around the outside, needless to say he wasn't hurt, but the kart got trashed pretty badly, if a kart on the grid being started without cheeks in the seat would rev up, clutch engage, and take off on its own....well, I could only hope no one gets hurt....😎

Back