Starting gear for clone

bullerman

New track opening here. Haven't been on it yet. Believe it is going to be fast. It is a tricky over with good banking. Owner said it measured 630' around center of the track. I have put a 15/62 on. Any suggestions.

New track opening here. Haven't been on it yet. Believe it is going to be fast. It is a tricky over with good banking. Owner said it measured 630' around center of the track. I have put a 15/62 on. Any suggestions.
Good starting point you'll probably find you'll add to rear a little, but that's good don't wanta start gear bound, I'd start 15 /61 to be safe, then if I ended up higher than 62 rear I'd drop front driver to a 14 with 4 less on rear. Now if this track will be for daytime racing and prepped properly with calcium making a lot more grip then you will start even lower rear.

I was just thinking, newcomers sometimes get a little confused when we say "lower" or "higher" gear ratio. I wonder if we substituted "lower" with "bigger", would they better understand what we're talking about?

I was just thinking, newcomers sometimes get a little confused when we say "lower" or "higher" gear ratio. I wonder if we substituted "lower" with "bigger", would they better understand what we're talking about?
Since this must be directed at me since I have the only response post, No where did I say lower or higher RATIO or when speaking gearing do I ever state it that way, I state lower rear or higher rear to help eliminate any confusion, go lower number on rear or higher number on rear ( pretty simple ) and if there not sure they will confirm, if in deed they are newcomers, by the way there are a lot of guy's that ask gearing questions that are far from newcomers, So the way I look at it the answer to your point would be " NO " they would not understand it better with your substitute.
If your really worried about eliminating confusion, "that answer is simple" QUIT posting on threads you know nothing or very little about.

Since this must be directed at me since I have the only response post, No where did I say lower or higher RATIO or when speaking gearing do I ever state it that way, I state lower rear or higher rear to help eliminate any confusion, go lower number on rear or higher number on rear ( pretty simple ) and if there not sure they will confirm, if in deed they are newcomers, by the way there are a lot of guy's that ask gearing questions that are far from newcomers, So the way I look at it the answer to your point would be " NO " they would not understand it better with your substitute.
If your really worried about eliminating confusion, "that answer is simple" QUIT posting on threads you know nothing or very little about.
My goodness gracious, throwing a hissy fit because I made a suggestion!!

No problem IF you have accurate info in your post, or a legit question !!
Honest question; how will I know either? To the best of my knowledge,
To the best of my knowledge (how would I know?) I have never asked an illegitimate question or passed on inaccurate information. I know, or I think I know, what I say. Will I be held to a higher standard than every other poster on this web site? Not trying to be argumentative, just asking questions and stating facts, of course in my opinion.

Maybe if you could explain to me where I was going wrong?

Honest question; how will I know either? To the best of my knowledge,
To the best of my knowledge (how would I know?) I have never asked an illegitimate question or passed on inaccurate information. I know, or I think I know, what I say. Will I be held to a higher standard than every other poster on this web site? Not trying to be argumentative, just asking questions and stating facts, of course in my opinion.

Maybe if you could explain to me where I was going wrong?
In this case it would of been easy, proof read your post, and re read what your responding to, as I pointed out I NEVER said higher or lower RATIO, had I then I would of responded you had a good point !! OR If there would of been multiple post by different people I would not have posted the same back to you, BUT there wasn't so I knew you were directing your response to my post, which is fine JUST GET IT RIGHT !!

I reread my post, it was not addressed to you, I did not mention your name. I admit it did follow your post, but that happens a lot............. with everybody. It was only a suggestion at large!

I will remain cautious and try not to make random posts.

I reread my post, it was not addressed to you, I did not mention your name. I admit it did follow your post, but that happens a lot............. with everybody. It was only a suggestion at large!

Not when there were no other post !!

I'll do anything required to stay on Bob's, I'll stop expressing my opinions and I'll stop answering questions with inaccurate information.

Higher and Lower gear ratio has been confused since the first gear set was invented . Drag racers , rat rod , Beatnicks , circle track , motorcycle racers probably even model railroad pepole .

I'll do anything required to stay on Bob's, I'll stop expressing my opinions and I'll stop answering questions with inaccurate information.
Has nothing to do with expressing your opinion, or posting that's your privilege, just stop trolling certain threads only to be argumentative .

If this is true then I have an idea for you to think about in those cases in the future, when it's just a random thought just start a new thread of your own to do so, that way you can't misquote someone, or come off just posting to be argumentive. That for sure would of avoided any confusion here.

Racing Promoter: Why are we seeing the driver and rear gear smaller. Few years ago builders would say clones like that 64-68 rear gear and don’t get driver bound go as big as you can until it won’t pull it.

Thoughts please?

Up until this season I would of said keep rear 62 to 66 with the clones same as flathead, and animals, however hot shoes and top builders out of the south started experimenting with keeping rear gears smaller 56 to 60 on the clones with some smaller yet, and were faster, so we started trying it here and it seems to hold true, we are now keeping rear 58 to 62 even if it does not yield faster overall lap times it helps you maintain or gain positions in the turns. I would never recommend going as big on rear until it quits pulling, or you certainly don't want to get it gear bound, go as big on rear as needed to hit your target Rpms.

Good starting point you'll probably find you'll add to rear a little, but that's good don't wanta start gear bound, I'd start 15 /61 to be safe, then if I ended up higher than 62 rear I'd drop front driver to a 14 with 4 less on rear. Now if this track will be for daytime racing and prepped properly with calcium making a lot more grip then you will start even lower rear.
i allways heard about gear bound, what exactly is that

i allways heard about gear bound, what exactly is that
Simplest answer is when the gearing combo you choose is trying to turn way more RPMS than the engine will turn, an example would be your at a fifth mile momentum track with a clone targeting 6800 rpm and a 16 /60 is perfect gearing combo and you started on a 16 / 66 rpms were low, so you chase it even more and go 68 rear, that's gear bound think of it as your engine is running with it's tonge hanging out the entire race lol. !!

Back