Starting kids in karts

a little advise when setting up the steering wheel that i found when fitting my 8 year old son in a full sized epic kart is that steering shaft itself is not what you want shorter, you will want to lower the steering tree(not sure if this is the correct terminology, but it will help you keep the seat further back towards the left rear and keep the steering wheel closer to the driver while lowering it so that they can turn it better as well as see over it. I simply used a cutter and a drill and modified the existing pipe that was already there.

We have already encountered and solved the steering wheel issue so yeah i know what you mean!!! I am sure we will get sucked in to the $$$$ issues, but for now we are just going one step at a time. My kids arent the dirt kickers or fence wavers, they are pretty aggresive minded so I am hoping they take to it well. Hell, I may be at a flute concert next year instead of racing...who knows hahahaha

Come join us at "The Leaf"! My 7 year old and 9 year old both ran here last year with a lot of success and I'm not a "Nascar Guy". There are a lot of good people around the track that are willing to help you out just as they did us when we started two years ago. The great part about the track is their is always a little competition in the kids classes which makes everyone better. I'm not sure we ever had less than 3 or 4 kids in an advanced pee wee class and we typically had around 8 each night which is why they were split up. The pee wee class had a nice turnout as well. At your stage it should be all about seat time for the kids and Donnie and Anita don't force kids into classes based on age. We had 12 year olds racing in JR1 this year because of experience. We also had some 8 and 9 year olds in the advanced pee wee class because they weren't ready for JR1 classes. It's just a great track with great people. I've raced at several tracks since we started and this is the most "family" type atmosphere you will find. I will say though that when it's time to move up and be competitive you'd better bring your "A" game. The JR1 class at this track is one of the best around. There were 4 track champions from Coleridge, Liberty, Carolina 120 and Woodleaf racing there this year. And none are "Nascar Guys".... We have all just put our time in here on Bobs, reading books and working with one another to get better. Oh yeah, one last thing, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE TIRES!!!! Feel free to send me a PM if I can help you in any way.

go to the AKRA Kart Show next week Jan 17th &or 18th in Charlotte lots folks to meet there

X2 on that one, anyone that is anyone in karting will be there, lots of free information, well worth the time. Lots of great deals and show specials. That is why we never miss it.

James Stevens Motorsports
Comp Composites Body Dealer
336-577-6018

What ever you do, never yell at them, also get them to help by washing tires, cleaning body etc. also very important find a way for them to learn the terminology for all parts and driving techniques.

We are going to the Charlotte show and see what they have. We aren't pushing them, they will be hard on themselves but not because of us, we are just looking for them to get experience and do something as a family. They are hands on kids, that was part of the deal when we started this was to learn all the work that goes into the pleasure of getting behind the wheel. One of my friends wanted to help out with a little sponsorship so I had the kids go with me, shake his hand and thank him for his involvement and tell him they would have some pictures made to hang in the store. For me as a parent they are learning life skills along the way which is very important.

nothing personal ecu54 nascar guys or not bring the $ to run up front,,thats my opinion my friend,,and I have also worked hard read and done all those things buddy,,i don't remember calling u out personally anyway

It's easy when you first start to think front runners are cheating. They just have everything dialed in and driving experience to match it. Unless you have a dedicated person to help you trackside, it will take a while to figure out why you are slower. I've had people help us a lot, and I pass down the help to new people starting out also. Without help, it would be easy to give up before figuring out everything.

It s good to know that so many people are getting into karting this year I had the stock steering shaft cut down and welded back together with a sleeve over the weld and it welded onto the steering shaft if you work in the racing field the fab guys in the shop would have no problem with that mod. I had to bring my sons pedals up oer the top of the tie rods when he started he was really short as well, it helped him get comfortable in the seat up it also brought his feet up enough so that I could see what his feet where doing in the kart weather he was pushing both the brake and the gas or letting up in the corners when he shouldn't t of been at a red plate speed they can hammer down and go wide open. Good luck with it and keep up the good work them private tracks can spoil ya though the practice should really be at the track they are going to be racing t the most most of the local tracks around here in south ala. well let u practice the day after in the mourning or early afternoon before the track drys out we usually jus slept at the track got up the next day practiced for a couple of hours and headed home, either way its cool that your kids have such a dedicated dad wish every child did us karting parents are every few and far between that for sure.

Back