Starting kids in karts

NCTrooper

I am new to Bobs and karting so I will try not to ask any stupid questions. I have been reading many of the threads about starting out in karting and I have a few questions. I live in NC and there are few paved tracks but numerous dirt tracks. I have a 5 year old son and 7 year old daughter who both want to get into karting. I am wondering what a typical entry price for a used kart is for each of them. We are looking for something to do as a family and it seems that kart racing is very family friendly. I work with a NASCAR modified so my kids have been around racing for awhile. Stick and ball sports are to slow for my kids so here we are, looking into karting. Any advice or words of wisdom would be appriciated.

you should be able to pick up some pretty good used karts ready to race for about $1000

First welcome to Bob's
Next hit the tracks you plan on running, talk to the track owner and ask about rules/classes for your children
Also speak to the track parts guy, they are a good source for info, he may also know where some karts are local that will always save a few bucks being local.

For two good starter karts, motors tires and related spares and equip, look to spend at least 3000+ to get started, buy a newer kart 2-4 years old if your gonna be serious about it, itll make the learning curve alot easier, find a tire guy that knows your local track and get your tires and prep there to start with, tires are key! My son is 8 and we started this year and its been a blast,

I have been to several tracks and it seems they all have a PeeWee class which we like. In these PeeWee classes do they all run the KidKart type karts or a full size kart with pedal blocks and a seat slid way up?

Bhr42, I am assuming you go to Bearcreek or Woodleaf. I am in Davie Co so I have been looking into those two among others.

the 7 year old at most tracks will run pee wee, full size kart with red plate clone engine, depending on when the boy turns 6 would likely dictate weather a kid kart or full size red plate

Stay away from bear creek, we went there twice and its not a good place to take a pee wee, rules are not enforced in the pee wee class and its just not a good learning experience, woodleaf on the other hand has been great everytime ive been, but i didnt go there this year, we run at providence in Va, another really good track were rules are enforced,

I would start him in the red plate also, would save alot of trouble and its not that big a deal to install the pedal blocks etc for the smaller drivers, She can run red plate a year then move to green plate,

Perfect, that's the kinda info I need, many thanks. I guess I am gonna start shopping for some deals. Have a kart builder nearby that's gonna let my kids test some karts tomorrow and see what works. I will certainly check providence out.

Good deal, as far as Karts, you can't go wrong with phantom stuff, alot of it around and support is very good, we run Infiniti which is bad fast when it's rite, but the support not as great as it could be, if you want something cheaper but still fast you can get infinitis pretty cheap and most are very user friendly,

Ya want something new enough to have a fully adjustable front end at least.
I have a 09 Twister that bothe my kids ran when they were that age.I had the whole kart redone last winter and only ran it 3x. I have a gas flathead I could package with it. You would need a seat.
The kart is like new and extremely user friendly.
Id like to see it go to a youngster and I'd make ya a heck of a deal on it.
I'm thinking 1250 will take it.. Also has good tach and near new body.
Any help I can give ya... I'm also more than glad to help any way I can.

Thanks a ton Cwason76!! I am gonna see how they do today in different karts at a friends track and then start shopping. I really appriciate the help. We are very excited about the upcoming season but also have realistic expectations. They want to win win win but I want them to have fun first and everything else will follow.

I think your right, I have several friends that race and I am going to see one today. We are very excited about getting out to the track and having some fun.

NCTrooper,

Keep this in mind, if your children are technically oriented ( play games on Xbox ) or on the computer you are in luck because the hand eye coordination that these games require are a good start. Another side of these games is they can't always win them so frustration is something the might have had to deal with. I have found that youngsters that have a foundation in motorsports are far more aware of the work and determination it takes to win, instead of expecting it is going to happen the first time they sit in a kart.

Welcome to Bobs there many wise and focused racers here, glean through the advice and above all learn what each of your drivers like as personalities. Drivers are as different as the karts when you set them up. Karting is a challenge like no other and all of the parts working together can make a night of racing like magic! Just be prepared for the down side because like magic one weekend all h>ll can be the result of the next...!

scott@chaindraggone

Start slow with them. Don't rush into in big races. I practiced for quite a while before I ever raced. Now, really have to pay attention to what motor package the tracks are running. Seems different everywhere, when I came through plates - it was all flathead.

I'm looking to sell my 2011 Icon as a roller for $1,000. jhucks03@sccoast.net

Thanks a ton Cwason76!! I am gonna see how they do today in different karts at a friends track and then start shopping. I really appriciate the help. We are very excited about the upcoming season but also have realistic expectations. They want to win win win but I want them to have fun first and everything else will follow.
Have fun..it can take awhile but be patient and be sure to tell them the stuff they are doin right as much as explaining what they are doin wrong.confidence is key.

Back