Starting out Dirt!

TooIngenious

I'm going to be getting an older Kart for Christmas, it'll have a phantom frame and not sure anything else. All it needs is a clutch. I've found that Dirt Oval is the most prevelant karting in my area, and is my favorite. How should I start out with my kart, besides getting a clutch? Lol.

where is your area ? fill out profile someone could live down the road from you that races . so is track a big dirt track , or small short track ? what class stock , Open , clone or 2stroke ? slick tires or treads we need more info to help you better

I live in Belleview, FL. I have a few tracks around me that I'll be visiting soon to take a better look at: Bubba Raceway Park has a 3/8 mile dirt oval, Speedway Park has 1/8 mile clay oval, and Volusia speedway has a 1/2 mile clay oval. What class should I run being a beginner? Should I head out to a few races and see what's most popular?

i would run the 1/8th mile . till you get the seat time in and move up to a bigger faster track . i hear they still have a showing of flatheads in FL. i would try and pick up a good used flathead and some good tires to start out with untill you know you like it and want to stick with it . dont spend to much at first

I'm most certainly not spending that much money. I asked my Dad to get me a nice used kart for Christmas, and that's what he's getting. An old friend of his used to race and I'm getting one of his Phantom frames and a motor (not sure what kind) for $300. My Dad might even be picking one up for him to play around in too. I will be calling Speedway Park soon to find out the most raced classes.

How old are you T'genious--if you are under 15 that will have a lot to do with what class you run---also your weight with you in the kart will go a ways to making the class decision too. Have fun with the deal.

Simple. Get a clone engine and put it on. Most popular class in Florida is the clone class. Also known as Box Stock Project. Perfect for the budget racer. Then get into the "EL" tire class. These tires last and last and last. Frutland Park (OSP) races the first and third Saturday each month. Dirt Devils near Tampa races the second and fourth Saturday of the month. Now get to a track and start watching whats going on.

Good Luck,

Hoppy

I'm 16 years old and I weigh about 140 lbs. If I were to use a Clone engine I'd be racing in either "Box Stock Heavy" or "Overhead Valve Limited Mod". I don't weigh enough for "Box Stock Super Heavy" and no other classes use the clone engines. I'm thinking if I were to start out with a Clone I'd go Box Stock Heavy. OSP also says they use WKA's BSP Technical rulebook thing for Clones, so I'm about to get that. Thanks for the tip on the EL's.

At 140 lbs, your natural classes would probably be the light and medium classes. That way you won't have to add as much weight to your kart. If you were to race in the heavy class, you'll be adding 50 lbs of lead or more to your kart. Whoever is helping you lift the kart on and off the kart stand will thank you :).

I don't see any light or medium classes for OSP. 50lbs of lead sounded like a good idea to me so I can adjust where it is on the kart according to how it is performing. Some guy is selling a rolling stand that uses a drill to raise and lower the stand, so I might just get that if 50 extra pounds is too much for two people to handle.

I don't see any light or medium classes for OSP. 50lbs of lead sounded like a good idea to me so I can adjust where it is on the kart according to how it is performing. Some guy is selling a rolling stand that uses a drill to raise and lower the stand, so I might just get that if 50 extra pounds is too much for two people to handle.

Being able to move weight around definitely doesn't hurt. Good luck whatever you do and have fun.

Turns out the kart that my Dad was going to get me is sold, so I'm looking around for another. I was told today by a mechanic up in Ocala that he would be more than happy to let me use his shop and that he'd do work with me free of charge. All I have to do is let him decal out the car. I think I just got my first sponsor. :D

slicks are way faster then treads. Karts it's all about momentum and treads get such good traction it actually slows you down,different tracks have different tire rules so you might also check the tracks you plan to run I checked out that bubba raceway and it doesn't mention anything about having karts just cars.

Volusia half mile track is for cars, the kart track is about a 1/5 mile, and Bubbas is a car track also.
Speedway Park is a good little track, helps you to learn how to drive a kart, and its close to you.

Clone engine is the motor of choice, and very few flatheads in Fl.
Get on a prep program and learn how to use it, a lot at Speedway Park are on mine, and i use to race all those tracks in Fl and i know them well, if you have any questions about my products you can contact me.

Have fun is the 1 most important thing i can tell you, learn from losing, some really good competition there in Fl, and eventually if you stay with it you will be up front winning too.

Back