Statewide Ohio Box Stock Predator Rules

bullerman

Just wondering how many tracks are running these rules? It sounds really simple and cheap. The people I have talked to said it works pretty good. I live down in Louisiana. We have four tracks here. They don't run Box Stock Predators. It's called that but every track allows a header and top plate. Three of them you are suppose to run the stock cam.
One you can use some of the Dyno cams.
We have a new track opening and I am thinking about campaigning for the Box Stock class with the Ohio state rules with the exception of tires and the clutch. Thinking of open tire and open clutch.
In the Ohio rules it says your motor can't turn more than 5500 on the stand and your motor can be checked if asked. What would be wrong if after the feature when you come across the scales have the top three pull off to the side and do a rpm check. Just to let you know you will be checked.
Has anyone used one of the hand held techs. Was thinking that's what the track could use if that works. Thanks

I am the tech man at several northwestern tracks, we run out of the box HF predators with a gear rule and a 5000 rpm rule. I offer everyone in this a rpm check before hot laps and then as you said check the top three as they cross the scales. I use the Tel Tach that just clips on to the ignition wire. No problems. Tel Tachieve cost me $19.95 on AMAZON.

If all the tracks use the same rule , it makes it cheaper for the racers , and easier for the tech man . There are only a few things you can do to the engine via the Ohio rules , mostly jets with a max and allowed 10.8 springs . Most of us are adopting the Predator Racing Organization ( PRO ) rules for 2020 , which is what the Ohio rules were . Same people are doing it , but it has spread to other tracks in surrounding states , which lets our Ohio racers travel to tracks outside of Ohio , and for others racers to come into Ohio and race without worrying about having to change anything . You can find the PRO rules on FB , and if your ever up this way , make sure to bring your karts and hit some of our tracks !
2 Brothers Raceway
Chillicothe , Oh

Went and checked them out. I like it. I didn't realize you could get 5400 rpm without tieing back the governor. That's great. We have a new track opening here. I am going to lobby for a class with those rules. It's so simple they probably won't go for it here. They have to make a lot of noise with a header. About half of them don't run a muffler. I am going to talk to.the guy that is opening the track about it. I didn't know the Ohio rules let you change the valve springs. I guess as long as doesn't turn more than 5500 on the stand it doesn't matter.
One of the tracks I ran at a good.while back had a series that they ran box stock predators. Don't think they did anything to them except maybe tied back the governor. It was some of the best and closest racing I saw that year. Really good.

What they turn on the stand and what they turn on the track is two different readings. Just sayin!!!!

That's what I was thinking. Let the track have a tach to check the motors by. I have a little dolly i. made you could walk up behind the kart, pick the rear wheels off the ground and have the driver or the tech man hild the throttle wide open and check the rpm. I am told they make a hand held tac you can just point at the motor.

Back