Steel/aluminum chain guard?

agepag

So I'm getting ready for the race season and we run those plastic strap chain guards. Don't really like them and was thinking about purchasing either a GEM OR JTP guard. Anyone have any expierence with them, or are there any other ones you would recommend?

Thank you
Adrian

I don't know of any plastic chain guards.
What i think you are talking about is a splash guard that keeps chain lube from going places you don't want it to go.
They normally attach to the rear of a steel or aluminum chain guard.
Make sure you get a sturdy chain guard.
Breaking a chain can rip right through a wimpy chain guard and cause serious injury.

I don't know of any plastic chain guards.
What i think you are talking about is a splash guard that keeps chain lube from going places you don't want it to go.
They normally attach to the rear of a steel or aluminum chain guard.
Make sure you get a sturdy chain guard.
Breaking a chain can rip right through a wimpy chain guard and cause serious injury.

Yes, I have the splash guards, I want to remove them and add a steel or aluminum guard. Anyone you recommend?

Home Depot 2"×1/8 flat aluminum, plastic works ok , any thing that keeps the chain from getting on top of your chain guard

All that thing does is act as a "splatter shield" (ie keeps the chain lube from getting on the arm of your fancy race suit.)
It is NOT a protective device and should never be trusted as such.
ABS plastic works just fine.
For a "chain guard," I'd run as strong of one as you can find for plenty of protection.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Chain_guard_damage-429x571.jpg

Here's an example of what the chain can do.
Notice that the exhaust pipe is bent almost all the way up to the back of the seat.
Notice that the chain guard is also considerably bent.
It's probably good that the pipe got in the way of the chain and slowed it down.
The chain still hit this person in the back of his arm. Oweee!!!

Back