Steering column issue

Knight25

I noticed that the windshield on my kart was loose, so i attempted to tighten it up simply by tightening the bolts that hold it on at the top of the steering column. When i did this, the steering became very difficult to turn. I cant seem to wrap my head around why that would happen. The block at the top of the column is just an aluminum block with a hole in it, right? So would my issue be that the posts are uneven and causing the block to turn slightly and making steering shaft bind? I attached a pic of the bolts at the top which hold the column/windshield in place.

Attachments

• 1121212122.jpg
    1121212122.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 58
Here is a picture of the bottom of that block, there isnt a slot in it. That's what has me puzzled about it lol

Attachments

• 1122210122.jpg
    1122210122.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 54
Like XXX said. I noticed in your first pic that the gap is bigger on top of the steering lock than at the bottom of it.

I hate that type of shield mount.
Looks like the block isn't 90 degrees to the shaft
The block itself appears to be 90 degrees to the shaft, but the windshield mount droops down, that's what i was trying to fix when i figured out my binding issue. What type of mount do you suggest for the windshield? This is how the last owner had this kart setup, for the most part I've left things alone. I did manage to come away with my first win in my second race this past saturday though.

The block itself appears to be 90 degrees to the shaft, but the windshield mount droops down, that's what i was trying to fix when i figured out my binding issue. What type of mount do you suggest for the windshield? This is how the last owner had this kart setup, for the most part I've left things alone. I did manage to come away with my first win in my second race this past saturday though.
Look at PMI's mount

I think thats what happened, your block isnt 90 to the shaft. Must of moved when mounting windshield.
The block itself looks to be 90° to the shaft, the windshield bracket is sagging farther down on the front side though. I'm probably going to try loosening the uprights and tightening the bolt down before tightening the uprights. I think one side maybe lower than the other

The block itself looks to be 90° to the shaft, the windshield bracket is sagging farther down on the front side though. I'm probably going to try loosening the uprights and tightening the bolt down before tightening the uprights. I think one side maybe lower than the other
Put the shield on the inside of the uprights

Back