Steering play

SlowMo

I have two boys that races
One has a 18 recon the other has a 20 scythe
Both there karts has a little play in the steering
I replaced the steering block on the 18 recon but it still has the same amount of play as before
When I scale there karts it’s a nightmare for me to get the toe right
So I guess the question I need answered is this normal or what could I do to fix it
Thank you

The normal cheap tie rod ends have some play in them from new some more than others, the block usually isn't tight to the shaft. A piece of paper under both front tires will help the tire slide across the pad when setting toe, and as long as slight pressure is applied to the left or the right you should be able to adjust, take weight off the front and set back down and not have it move. If there is any preload on the tire each time pressure is taken off it'll keep popping one way or the other. Do the one side, make sure its where you want it, then do the other. Just make sure you have everything the same direction each time you check it or you'll be chasing your tail. The aluminum ends prc sells or the nylon steel ones that slack sells have no play side to side in the rod end if you're looking to take out the play completely.

Last edited:
Would it hurt to check it? What if it didn’t come with one? Or it’s wore that quick? Only takes a minute.
Won't hurt, good ones have a bearing, cheap ones are made with delrin.
The toe lock should bypass any play there though

Back