Sticking it

An alternative to nikasil plating is a anti friction metal treatment.
Are we talking about a "metal" treatment or a "fuel" additive?
A guy in California told me at a race in Reno Nevada, 4000 feet, he got his Yamaha up to 500° with just gas and oil. He attributed this to the high altitudes low air density.
It would have been interesting to see what an EGT would have been reading. The CHT is such a poor way of tuning!

A guy in California told me at a race in Reno Nevada, 4000 feet, he got his Yamaha up to 500° with just gas and oil. He attributed this to the high altitudes low air density.
It would have been interesting to see what an EGT would have been reading. The CHT is such a poor way of tuning!
Pro Tec is a metal treatment. There are others on the market, www.prolong.com, and www.tripaksuperlubricants.com. For some reason www.proteclubricants.com isn`t working on my computer. Google anti friction metal treatment for others. I have always gotten Pro Tec from EC Distributors. Tried to call today to see if they still carry it but they are closed on fridays.

Last edited:
We roadrace with a yammi and when we ran Road America, every time coming up the big hill on the front straight temp was at 525, if we richened it up it would slow down, so we just crossed our fingers !

The "nikisil" stuff ive been told about is a coating that is applied to the cylinder wall, that's about all I know...

I'll bet you fouled the plug , if you have a Burkie clutch, hold the brake and stand on the throttle, lots of 4 strokers pace slow to faul you out

Hoppy sorry if im "wasting your time on here"...this is my first year running 2cycles, im just trying to learn as i go.....and im learning quickly that finding correct spark plugs is difficult to say the least...such is why i dont have spares right now....unless you can direct me to someone/somewhere that has them and is willing to part with them....🤠
Spin,

My bad...that was a little rough...I'd be willing to send you a plug...TS Racing btw is who I bought mine from when I ran Sudams..ask for Raymond...352-530-7600. Your doing great btw........I was just checking your determination.....lol...no hard feelings I hope. You should consider putting in new crank seals if your going to put in a new piston. Also check crank before you remove seal and seee how much up and down play you have and side to side also. a little side to side okay ....up and down slop on the crank is no beuno. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Spin,

My bad...that was a little rough...I'd be willing to send you a plug...TS Racing btw is who I bought mine from when I ran Sudams..ask for Raymond...352-530-7600. Your doing great btw........I was just checking your determination.....lol...no hard feelings I hope. You should consider putting in new crank seals if your going to put in a new piston. Also check crank before you remove seal and seee how much up and down play you have and side to side also. a little side to side okay ....up and down slop on the crank is no beuno. Hope this helps.
no problem...thanks for the lead on the spark plugs :)

Alky 2 cycle, don't start your engine till the gate opens and karts start moving, get on the track and clear it out . Caution laps 4 strokers will roll slow to load you up. If you have a Birky, Hold the brake and stand on the gas

An alternative to nikasil plating is a anti friction metal treatment. I started using Pro Tec anti friction metal treatment back in the 80`s
and since then I have never stuck my engines even when my old style KT hit 500 degrees one time (not a misprint and no damage).
Racing hard, not paying attention to gauge and yes I was inadvertently too lean. I never start my engines unless its mixed in my fuel.
You are right here. My old friend Troy Blanton in VA used that all the time on his 2 strokes, both Yamahas and PCR reeds, and he was nearly unbeatable at Langley Speedway for many years.

Back