Still need help with my land and sea

DynoDon

As many of you know i have been trying to get my land and sea dynomite dyno up and running. Today I found out that the red box that is used to communicate with the computer is bad. I am in need of another one. I am hoping that there is someone out there who switched over to the performance trends software thus is no longer in need of the land and sea box. If you have one
Laying around and would sell it to me so i can get mine up and running i would be forever grateful. I do not have to have the one with the read out screen ( lcd ) if there is one out there without

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Do all the sensors plug into that box ?
Or is there a computer involved ?
Might call stan hewitt no telling what he might have .

If you blow up the pic you can see the plug in the back from the harness that has all the sensors. Thanks for the tip

In 1985 I bought a Go Power water break absorption unit. I bought a data acquisition unit. Also known as a "A to D converter". A friend wrote the software. I built the stand and connected everything. I have some experience with dyno's. Of course there was a computer involve, I have a little experience with computers.

There's always a computer involved. Whether you see it or not, it's their.

I have software, an Excel spreadsheet, if you can acquire the data (torque and RPM) you can enter, manually, that data (along with the temperature and barometric pressure) in the software, it will then take that, and the list of 2 numbers, and calculate the corrected HP. It will also create a graph showing the power curves, both HP and torque.

Let me know if you're interested.

Have you checked to see if the input voltage is present. Does it have batteries or does it get it's voltage from a charger? Looks like a charger connector on top. I have a set of scales with a bad battery. Had to disconnect the battery for the scales to work on external charger power only. Or maybe the charger connection is shot. Just a thought!

The board lights up and I am able to program all the info into it. After I do the run I have no results.

Is the computer receiving data from the absorption unit? On my dyno I had a 12 inch bar bolted to the absorption unit and I could hang a calibrated weight on that and read the signal coming to the computer. Whatever the number was on the computer, I could tell the software that that was representative of the weight of the thing I had hanging on the absorption unit. In a non-temperature control environment, you have to do that a lot. Strain gauges read differently if the ambient temperature is different. A Really accurate dyno is always in a temperature controlled room. Good software can read the ambient temperature and correct the calculated horsepower, but it only has the signal coming from the strain gauge to go by, it can't compensate for a hot or cold strain gauge.

The board lights up and I am able to program all the info into it. After I do the run I have no results.
Is it a serial cable connected to computer ?
Your unit may be different then the one in the no communication link .
The port configuration should be the same or those boxs should have that info in them .

I see they printed out of the control box .
With something like a recipt printer .
Do they call them dot matrix printers ?
Does your box show all the parameters on the lcd screen ?

It shows the torque rpm and hp. However the rpm and hp doesn’t record during the run. I do not have a printer for it. When I connect the laptop I get a message that tells me there is a communication problem.

Don, sorry to hear about your problems. I had a new L&S back in the 1990's, just sold it about 2 years ago. Great unit, repeatable.
The one problem that affected everything on the data was the fact the unit is very susceptible to RFI or Electrical Static of any form. When running a FH Briggs on it we had to use a strip of masking tape to hold the covers tight. Just a wrap around. If a hose clamp was loose on the exhaust pipe it affected the data. If a tool was left laying on the platform it's vibration would cause the unit to create false data or shut the pull recording down.
We had the magnetic pick up on the impeller. The data stream would show a higher or lower RPM out of sequence which caused that lines HP to be calculated wrong. If the false RPM was over the shut down point the pull recording would be aborted.

Hope this helps you out.
Best,WP

Back