Stinger clutch engagement

jhucks03

What’s the trick to smoothing the engagement of this clutch?

Heavier springs? Or I read some other threads that suggested WD-40 the entire innards of the clutch...

Thanks in advance.

Good question . Wd might help for a second .
I never used it enough to try too smooth it out just accepted it .
When we needed to run it .

What’s the trick to smoothing the engagement of this clutch?

Heavier springs? Or I read some other threads that suggested WD-40 the entire innards of the clutch...

Thanks in advance.
" smoothing the engagement" what just exactly does that mean? When you get on it coming out of the pits, what's the RPM. What class? What clutch? What's the setup on the clutch?
If you put lighter springs on it, it may engage too soon, or maybe it will lower the engagement RPM to where it should be. It should be engaging (I call it the stall RPM) at the point in the RPM range where the engine produces peak torque. I'm sure you understand you'll need a tachometer to determine that point. If you've ever had your engine on a dyno the printout will show you where peak torque is. The fact that you're telling us it engages too hard, tells me it's engaging at too high an RPM.
Putting lighter springs on it could also bring the engagement down to the right RPM.

It's likely chattering, Josh.
Usually caused by the shoes and drum being glazed (too much grease in the bearings, dirt ingress, etc.) Cleaning the shoes and giving the drum a fresh refinish does wonders on them.
The WD40 trick only helps leaving the pits in my opinion. It does displace any water in the clutch and keep it from rusting if you're running in the rain though. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Brian,
Yes it is chattering. Has done it since day one when I let Keegan run it in Red Plate a few times. Wasn’t as bad with him, but terrible on anything with some torque.

I sanded the drum once with a sandpaper roll. I was curious on spring selection. May do some cleaning and playing around with it.

With out mentioning blueprinting .
Drum out of round , shoes not identical weight or shape .
Hard spots in the drum .
Which brings to mind the old brake shoe radius grinder .

Back