Stinger clutch question

bullerman

On the Stinger clutch can you use a regular snap ring and snap ring pliers for the driver. I have never like those spiral type snap rings. Watched a video of a guy servicing a Stinger and it had the spiral type ring on the driver. If it uses a Bully type driver it looks like you could use the Bully snap ring unless it would be to thick. Any ideas.

I usually run a 14 driver. I did find out you can use the regular snap ring with it. Is the Stinger mounted with end play like the Bully. I ordered one. Guess it will come with instructions.

If the snap ring fits , it shouldn't matter which one you use .
As stated with an 11 the spiral lock is needed.

Installing the clutch. After I put the drum on and installed the bearing I installed the washer then went to put the snap ring on. To tight . I sanded on the snap ring some to make it a hair thinner. Will it hurt to leave the washer off and just use the snap ring. I don't see where the drum would come off.

I can get it to fit with the washer but it is just a little tight. I guess it would loosen up as soon as I ran it. Seems like on my Bully clutches you had different thickness washers for the thrust bearing. I only have one that came with the clutch. Oh well, I'll get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume your talking about the driver bearing and "washer" , its best too have one . I wouldn't sand the snap ring . Also would not expect it to wear in . The thrust bearing shims will affect that situation as well .
Small differences in driver overall length by different mfg's as well .

Thanks for the information. I don't have any shims but I will order some in different thickness. Thought that's what it would take. The clutch only came with one thrust bearing washer. I measured it at .040. Will see about getting some. Thanks

I ordered me two .015 shims, one .030 shim, one chain break pin, several snap rings and various washers. You could put everything in a small envelope. Ground shipping from Ohio to Louisiana was 27.90. I don't see how the post office is short on money. Shipping has got crazy.

Ran the Stinger today. Using a 15 Tuck and Run driver with the spiral snap ring. Seems to fit good and tight. It really grabs good if you gas it sort of hard but I am getting terrible clutch chatter. One thing I did notice on the instructions it says " fasten Stinger clutch to engine crank with washer and bolt. Torque should be 225 inch lbs". I set mine up with a little end play. Don't know if this could cause it to chatter. U did change the springs but I am pretty sure I put the hub and shoes back like they were. They say it comes to run clutch inboard.
What should I check? Does it have to seat or anything. I may send it to Martinbuilt anyway and let them go through it. Also just sitting there idling it sounds like your ringing a bell. It does have some slack in it running end play. Any suggestions.

Does the clutch need a thrust washer on both sides of the thrust bearing. Mine came with only one. It is on the outside of bearing. Bearing is against the hub on the inside.
Also was told to bolt the clutch tight on the crankshaft which I didn't but it is now.Still not clear to clean it with brake cleaner or wd40. Seems to be different opinions on this. It does say on the instructions to u as e brake cleaner. Still not sure on which springs to use. Blue or orange. I was told Blue and Stinger tech said Orange because it was trying to engage to soon. Will keep messing with it just wondered about the thrust washers.

My opinion is the thrust washers are only there to keep the drum from riding on the cluch hub /shoe assembly .

Thank you. That's the way mine came with the one on the outside of the the thru a t washer.. Wasn't sure. What is your think on the springs? Should I use the Blue or Orange?

I only have experience with the correct Briggs 206 springs. But, from what I've read about the predator, blue should put you in the correct rpm range for lockup.

Last edited:
Back