Stirring the 2 Cycle pot

dundmt

Alrighty, after what seems like hours of reading on questions/answers regarding open 2 cycle engines I want some air to be cleared here. It would be nice to see this sub forum get some good attention like it used to.

1. Plastic tanks, zip ties and fuel filters for methanol engines. The good, the bad, the ugly. What works, what has failed and stuck a piston?

2. Spark plugs: can a projected tip plug be ran without burning a hole in the piston? What are good purge plugs where expensive retracted gap plugs are meant to be ran for racing?

3. Is screening fuel necessary to keep contaminates out?

4. Cold starting: starting fluid, mixing gas in large quantities of methanol, Marvel oil/acetone?

5. Dual carbs: how are you tuning them? What are common issues that happen over time that require regular lookovers?

1 - no zip ties
2- an old plug thats been run .
3 its best .
4-- i love starting fluid also blew a few pistons . Acetone in the cold to help oil stay mixed .
5 ----ran em on macs in the late 60's not since no opinion .

1. Zip ties-yes/ I use Barry clamps (reusable) I bend a “v” in mine-has always worked excellent!
-plastic tanks the best for alky since alky doesn’t like aluminum.
-filter-use the ones that belong in the Tilly carbs.
-the ugly- make sure the inlet hole that is drilled in plastic tanks is completely removed; or it will act as a flap and cost you a piston.

2. Always ran retracted plugs, can use a cross reference of protruded but recommend it be a colder one. I’ve run cleaned used plugs for years. Any old plug is good for a quick burn down.

3. Always screen for large abject like bugs, leaves and grass.

4.startig fluid-small sot usage. Acetone 1 cap per gallon to keep caster bound to fuel in cooler weather. Marvel/oil/gas for clean burn downs.

5. Duel carbs-set and tune from the top one since needles are in board. Bottom will always see the most fuel due to gravity with in intake track. Common look overs-shaft wear, loose or missing stack bolts, broken return springs. Keep carbs clean on outside.

I hate in line filters,restricts fuel flow.Keep it simply .
I always screen fuel while filling tank because I hate filters.
Used ether once,and blew the crank seals out of motor.
I use acetone frequently ,for mixing and an igniter"

Dual carbs are a love hate relationship. If you get a set that aren't set up right they are the most frustrating thing ever. If set up right and on alky, set and forget unless a major change in temp conditions then I might fatten it up a little and not worry. I believe there are some newer big carbs that are better. Next question is what is your engine?

I use a fuel filter, made for alcohol, I use zip ties ( cheap and simple)
If you use a large European tank , always pull the pickup tube out of the tank after the weekend ( or it will fall off)
Cold start, I use my after run gas

Back