Stock Animal with built clones

Hi Everyone, been lurking on this forum and decided to finally sign up you all seem like a wealth of knowledge. Just picked up a rage kart for my son with a sealed 206 not a lo206, the class we are competing in has no rules other than purple restrictor plate, clone or animal and must be run on methanol. Most competitors are running built clones putting out about 12 hp on methanol with the purple restrictor plate, what do I need to do to my Animal 206 to get that kind of horsepower with the purple plate. P.S. it is legal at my track to break the seals.

Hi Everyone, been lurking on this forum and decided to finally sign up you all seem like a wealth of knowledge. Just picked up a rage kart for my son with a sealed 206 not a lo206, the class we are competing in has no rules other than purple restrictor plate, clone or animal and must be run on methanol. Most competitors are running built clones putting out about 12 hp on methanol with the purple restrictor plate, what do I need to do to my Animal 206 to get that kind of horsepower with the purple plate. P.S. it is legal at my track to break the seals.
Does your track follow any rules on engines? WKA, IKF, AKRA, NKA?
Most tracks follow a particular sanctioning body on engine and chassis rules.
A sealed 206 IS an lo206.
If you can cut the seals, then essentially you have an Animal engine.
Animal engines are intended to be built up to whatever rule set you are allowed.
To get to 12 CHP with a purple plate, it would not be a legal stock class. Simply impossible. Same with the purple plate clones. The only way they'll see 12 HP is by cheating them up immensely.
Running clones on alcohol is the first indication that this track does not follow the normal rule sets.
You would want a longer connecting rod, higher compression piston, cam, extensive carb work, light portwork and head milled. Even then, I'm not sure you can get to that 12 HP number that you mentioned.
Keep in mind that everyone's dyno reads differently, or I should say everyone reads their dynos differently. Big numbers are typically a big sales pitch. In this case, about twice the legal HP output, but again, we don't know the track's rules.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Does your track follow any rules on engines? WKA, IKF, AKRA, NKA?
Most tracks follow a particular sanctioning body on engine and chassis rules.
A sealed 206 IS an lo206.
If you can cut the seals, then essentially you have an Animal engine.
Animal engines are intended to be built up to whatever rule set you are allowed.
To get to 12 CHP with a purple plate, it would not be a legal stock class. Simply impossible. Same with the purple plate clones. The only way they'll see 12 HP is by cheating them up immensely.
Running clones on alcohol is the first indication that this track does not follow the normal rule sets.
You would want a longer connecting rod, higher compression piston, cam, extensive carb work, light portwork and head milled. Even then, I'm not sure you can get to that 12 HP number that you mentioned.
Keep in mind that everyone's dyno reads differently, or I should say everyone reads their dynos differently. Big numbers are typically a big sales pitch. In this case, about twice the legal HP output, but again, we don't know the track's rules.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Tracks rules literally say, must run on methanol with a WKA purple plate that’s it for engine rules. The folks I have spoke with all have there karts dyno tested on the same dyno and average about 12 hp with the restrictor plate installed. If dyno’s vary that much I guess I better have my motor done before I dump any money into it. P.S. most guys are paying 1500 to 2000 for there built clones.

if thats the case then i would build the crap out of it and hope my little guy can hang on. i for one would not partake in this class for the reason that it sounds like you and your son might be new to karting and safe speed is a result of knowledge not high horsepower numbers.

Tracks rules literally say, must run on methanol with a WKA purple plate that’s it for engine rules. The folks I have spoke with all have there karts dyno tested on the same dyno and average about 12 hp with the restrictor plate installed. If dyno’s vary that much I guess I better have my motor done before I dump any money into it. P.S. most guys are paying 1500 to 2000 for there built clones.
Expect the same with the animal .
Lo206 has a rpm limiting coil first thing too get changed .
As stated is there any other class that could be ran ?
What state are you raccing in ?

I would guess that that "same dyno" is the problem and it is the same dyno owned by the guy that builds the motors. 12 HP out of a purple plate just is not happening so don't obsess over what you are being told. Read over what Mr. Carlson said, he knows what he is talking about. What most beginners do not understand is the key to being fast is getting around the corners fast. Tires chassis and driving are far more important then motor. Now you say you are competing at the track. How are you doing? We do not know where you are from so we do not know how long your racing season is, but it is already mid August. Has your motor been converted to methanol? If not, do that or get it done. It is the easiest way to get more power. My advice would be to run out the year getting your child as much seat time as possible and address the motor in the off season. That will give you some time to better research the rules at that track. I would suspect that most of us that have been around for awhile are skeptical about a no rules purple plate class. If there is a tech guy at the track talk to him, I just hope it isn't the guy with the grossly inaccurate dyno.

Last edited:
Thanks all, I just picked the Kart up last week and we have decided we are not going to run this year as there are only two races left. I am new to the kart racing world but not racing, I crew chief for a dwarf car so I do understand chassis setup and the importance of handling. The go kart class is for kids and ran in the parking lot of a 1/4 mile banked oval track so there really isn’t “tech” per say it’s more safety inspections than tech. The previous response from Chipg56 stating 12HP with a purple plate is not happening is exactly what I am looking for.

Sell that lo206 and get an already built purple plate animal from a builder of your choice.
We've got a real nice used purple plate animal, freshly rebuilt sitting here in the shop currently.
Complete with pipe, chain guard, throttle kit, etc.
But it won't make 12 HP.

I would get brians engine. If you are running more than one track then you have a LEGAL engine that will pass tech

Putting restrictor plates on open motors blows my mind. This very much sounds like a backyard track deal.
From a tech standpoint it's awesome. Just pull and measure the plate and test the fuel. Doesn't get much simpler than that while actually discouraging high dollar parts since its being throttled back anyways. I think it's a wonderful idea to try. If it took a 3" big bore stroker and a stage 5 head to be competitive, it would take the fun out of it

Back