Stock appearing predator help

Started racing this year mostly racing some predator (non hemi) mod and box stock classes but would like to try to build a decent stock appearing over the winter. Are there any good starting combinations or tips and tricks on where to start? I've seen milled heads, big valve heads and flat top pistons, ect.. just looking for some general direction or things to stay away from.

Budget is the number one thing that drives your choices .
Flattop piston in a non hemi .billet rod and flywheel.
Ported head , cam of choice (mod 1) , champion rockers .
Good carb . And a pipe .

Budget is the number one thing that drives your choices .
Flattop piston in a non hemi .billet rod and flywheel.
Ported head , cam of choice (mod 1) , champion rockers .
Good carb . And a pipe .
Budget isn't really a huge deal since it'll be an all winter project. Is a mod 1 cam your recommendation?

If you want quick and simple .
You want pull start ?
Gas or methanol really won't change much , carb choices .
Stock appearing usually has some kinda rules .
You gotta run the muffler and air box ?

Pull start would be nice. And no it can have pipe and open style filter. Only rule is it has to appear stock from 5 feet which is insanely vague i understand

Billet rod
Billet flywheel
.050 milled of non hemi head
Stock valves
26lb springs
Flat top piston
Black mamba jr cam Or mod 2 cam and 1.3 rockers.
VERY lightly clean up head
Good .930 or .990 pipe
If allowed a good hand built gx390 carb on alcohol or a good hand built stock appearing carb on alcohol.

It seems to depend on who you are racing with. Around western KY a couple years ago stock appearing was guys assembling motors in their garages with bolt on parts. It was fairly inexpensive and fun, rules were pretty lax, and they were reasonably fast. Gas only and pull start rules seemed to keep the small block opens away. fast forward to the day somebody spent a pile of money on a stroker crank and a high dollar cylinder head and was absolutely running away with every race. And no, it wasn't just tires, setup, etc. He was also winning sbo races. The class quickly dwindled. My advice would be to really look at what you are running against before you get your heart and bank balance hurt.

It seems to depend on who you are racing with. Around western KY a couple years ago stock appearing was guys assembling motors in their garages with bolt on parts. It was fairly inexpensive and fun, rules were pretty lax, and they were reasonably fast. Gas only and pull start rules seemed to keep the small block opens away. fast forward to the day somebody spent a pile of money on a stroker crank and a high dollar cylinder head and was absolutely running away with every race. And no, it wasn't just tires, setup, etc. He was also winning sbo races. The class quickly dwindled. My advice would be to really look at what you are running against before you get your heart and bank balance hurt.
Im kinda wondering who this feller was ?

Back