Stock Briggs, Full throttle hesitation

CamSweet

All,
Stock 5HP on an early Clark Kart. Governor has been removed, and at full throttle, the engine hesitates and stumbles. It feels like it wants to keep pulling, however. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Cam

Gas or Alky..? Check carb and pickup screens for debris. make sure needle jet is out 1-1/2 turns to start. Could be lean condition at WOT. Class and jet? also check for any air leaks around carb flange head gasket etc.. I'm sure others will chime in with more suggestions.
Matt

Thanks Matt!! Stock, gas. I threw a rebuild kit in it and it idles and acelerates well. IS what I'm feeling, valve float?

Cam

It could be valve float, depends on what kind of rpm your getting to. Are you running a Tac? If your turning over 6000 rpm you really need to find you a billet stock length rod if you don't already have one, the stock cast rod's gonna break it's just a matter of when. And when it goes it can take a lot of parts with it. For a bone stock cam run a couple of exhaust valve springs as the stock intake spring is a shorter and lighter pressure. Even a stock broached cam from Briggs can be improved quite a bit just by getting the opening a shut times optimized, they just throw some valve lash at it from the factory so If you put a degree wheel on it and adjust lash to improve the numbers performance can pick right up. Jon

Back