Stock flywheel

Stock flywheel is designed to safely operate at 36/3800 rpm. There is a cushion built in the safety aspect of the wheel in the event the governor breaks so it can be shut down before anything else breaks. What that cushion is I don’t know. Clone stock wheels were coming apart around 58/6000 rpm.

Last edited:
The glue that holds the factory magnets on will typically give out before 7k, if not sooner. Several aftermarket wheels are designed to go past that.

Many Predator classes use the stock flywheel , with a free rev rule of up to 5800 without seeing any problems . I personally would not turn one faster than 5500 on free rev . In stock classes , where track RPM's range anywhere from 4800 to 5100 or there abouts , they seem to be holding together without any issues . I would suggest that if your turning more than that on the track , an aftermarket flywheel should be installed . But if it is a rule to run the stock flywheel , on the track I wouldn't turn it more than than what the rules allow , but in most cases the track has a free rev rule , which if you turn the max on track , chances are you will fail the free rev rule . JMO

too bad the PVL flywheel WAS $70 with free shpping... now $20 shpping (sigh). that is awful close to the BILLET flywheel of $115? and $4 shipping... well... not "awful clost $90 v. $120 but $72 was do able... $90 for poor ppl is a lot for a $100 motor. 1/4" alum plate 6" wide x 18" long what SCCA uses, but the flywheel prolly wont play nice and stay in its flight path when it gives up. used kevlar body armor around the flywheel? thought about that but cant cut it and it prolly wont fit right on small engine shroud.. its not cheap either, even used. i tried to take the screw on stock flywheel out to re glue it, that didnt work, screw stripped. i super glued around the magnet since some say the magnet edges fly up and take out the coil/mount/ruin motor. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE FLYWHEEL NUT!!! IT IS A TAPERED SHAFT AND WILL CRACK THE FLYWHEEL AND IT WILL EXPLODE!!!! I PROMISE U THAT!!!! stay out of flight path of the flywheel at all times. i found 3 pieces of ??? of the flywheel that i overtightened. i guess.... (sigh) $90 for PVL flywheel is better than being....

Back