stock honda head

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
Newbe question,

stock Honda, basket case
are the vales the same size?? seem to measure that way at the head, but one stem is longer..
which is intake and which is exhaust?
there is a lash cap, is it for exhaust or intake,.. should both valves have them?
are new stock Honda valve springs 18#??
I'm going to re ring and hone, then reassemble

I have a cl2 cam that looks a lot like my stock Honda cam...
I have the alum fly wheel,
going to add header, top plate and air filter,,.. can someone give me a suggestion for carb parts?

Thanks
More later, I'm sure

No the valve are not the same size Intake is larger in Dia. You should be able to see that. The valve rotator(las cap) is only on the exhaust valve. No the stock GX200 valve springs are not 18lb the Honda valve for the G200 flathead Part # 14571-883-000 .

25 mm intake and 24 mm exhaust, Genuine Honda valves should be labeled inf-intake and exf-exhaust or something like that. also sometimes the valve retainers can differ slightly. the exhaust valve retainer might have a deeper cut out where the lash cap (exhaust only) will sit.

if you are swapping the rings, the engine will be broken down. Swap in a flat top piston while you are there.

For a carb, buy a blueprinted carb like dj-2224 on this page: http://www.arcracing.com/fuel-control-delivery/?sort=featured&page=2

the fuel circuits will be reworked and it is a plug and play type application, worth the money for a newb. if you have tools, time, and knowledge, buy a couple carbs and try boring yourself. just know its not just about making the biggest hole in the carb, everything has to work together.

Depending which Honda he has, he may already have the flat top like the ZOT came with. I agree on the blueprinted carb, they are worth the price and show up on lap times. If you have no rules to go by, a .650 or .675 gas carb built for Stock Appearing would work well, or even a Mikuni 22 on ebay. The Briggs Animal stock springs work well in these, i think they are somewhere between 20-30lb springs. The CL2 will look just like your stock cam visually but has a different profile that is better for racing. Honda valves should be marked In and Ex on the heads of the valves unless that has changed recently. Does your engine have the 18cc head which head casting do you have to work with?

Yes the flat top piston isa GX160 part# Not all 160 pistons work though as the skirt interferes with the 200 crank.

ok, thanks all for the info so far... Yes it's a ZOT 196.. slight dish in the piston...the motor started life as a rental kart motor with wet clutch gear box to belt drive..
now being my first basket case rebuild. The bottom end is now together. getting that top rod bolt tight was a pain... should have bought a 1/4 drive inch pound torque wrench... not much room in there.

It appears some of my parts are missing..go figure right... to start with i only have one valve seal.. NOW?? every place i look for valve seals they only list intake seal.. do we not use them on the exhaust valve??? i would think they should both have valve seals.
note: i bought a set of springs at a swap meet (reputable shop).. they are taller and way stronger, but don't know the # rate.. they were in honda bags.. any idea?

The crank shaft in that engine may be 20 mm and you will not be able to fit a typical clutch. Check the PTO end diameter.

43, yep thats the reason for the rebuild... also it was not the correct length. couldn't bolt up a clutch so i picked up a clone crank. so how about those seals?? are they universal... and should i put one on each valve

No there is not enough oil up there to cause smoking, When we raced Honda the seal which stock only came on the intake side was to be removed.

ok, thanks all for the info so far... Yes it's a ZOT 196.. slight dish in the piston...the motor started life as a rental kart motor with wet clutch gear box to belt drive..
now being my first basket case rebuild. The bottom end is now together. getting that top rod bolt tight was a pain... should have bought a 1/4 drive inch pound torque wrench... not much room in there.

It appears some of my parts are missing..go figure right... to start with i only have one valve seal.. NOW?? every place i look for valve seals they only list intake seal.. do we not use them on the exhaust valve??? i would think they should both have valve seals.
note: i bought a set of springs at a swap meet (reputable shop).. they are taller and way stronger, but don't know the # rate.. they were in honda bags.. any idea?

Those are 18lb honda springs, and will give you a little more rpms with the stock lift cams like the stock cam and the cl dyno cams

Back